Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 2 months ago

Is it safe to decorate your home by putting candles on the windowsill?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

You shouldn't put a candle anywhere that it wouldn't be safe to burn, even if you never expect to light it. Bad feng shui. 

The safest and most practical place for candles is in the fireplace during off-season. 

• 1 month ago

careful with parties booze and carrying on,they do look rather neat,,inside lanterns might be better,, w colored glass sides

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Candles are the biggest cause of house fires. Just don't light them.

• garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

as long as you dont light them..!!!!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

That depends on a few factors....ask yourself:

Are the candles for decor or to actually use?

Is the window sill deep enough to safely and securely place a candle?

Will any curtains or blinds catch fire?

Are the candles drip proof as not to melt onto the window sill?

Is the window drafty, which will cause an uneven burn and accelerate wax melt?

Do I need a glass chimney to cover the open flame?

Should I just use candles that come in jars rather than candlestick candles?

Be safe. First and foremost, always. Don't take risks where fire is concerned.

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Depends. How wide is your windowsill. Do you have dog, cats or kids? Then no, not safe,  And if you have any curtains on the window. Then no not safe. 

I have blinds I can pull up. And a ledge that can take a small candle holder. I have out tea lights. 

They only burn for 3-6 hours and go out. And I have them in the rooms we are using. I wouldn’t light one in my bedroom when I wouldn’t be in it all day, 

• 2 months ago

Safe?  No. Candles are NEVER safe no matter where you put them. They are LIVE FLAMES. Battery candles can be put anywhere and look just fine. Don't risk fire. 

Of course, you can always use candles if you don't LIGHT them. But be wary of putting them in the sunlight--the wax can melt and drip onto your woodwork or furniture even if you don't light them. And they can stain, or leave marks on your windowsills. 

• 2 months ago

As long as you have no curtains.

• 2 months ago

Candles aren't inherently dangerous. 

Lighting them on the other hand...

• 2 months ago

Sure. Just don't light them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.