Tommy asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Why some Americans have a tendency to teach new arrivals how to behave and what to say?

1. In matter of fact the majority of new arrival in the USA has more knowledge about the USA than a person born here.

2. they know that English is not official language unlike some Americans who assume it is.

3. They know Christianity is not official religion unlike some Americans.

4. They know a leader of the country can be a woman unlike some Americans who assume it is man's job only.

Oh. I get it. You're stupid. 

Americans who have been here awhile would know a lot more about daily life in America than a person who just got here. 

Let's put it this way. You should take your pet Gila Monster for a walk. 

What's that? You don't even HAVE a pet Gila Monster? I don't know what I'm talking about? .... YEAH! I KNOW! It's like I know less about your daily life THAN YOU DO! It's like I don't even live in your house!

Anyway, point 1. Knowledge of history and bureaucracy and electoral process has nothing to do with every day life in the USA. It's not connected to fitting in or getting by AT ALL. 

Point 2. They can know that English isn't the official language if they want. They can know all the state birds. Big F'ing deal. They'd better SPEAK English if they want to integrate well. I know a lady who barely speaks ANY English. Nice lady but she's missing out on the American experience. 

Point 3. Again, big F'ing deal. Hell, I'm an atheist and even I think this has nothing to do with every day life in the USA. Going to church is a really good way to meet people and start to 'fit in' and 'get along'. In other words, INTEGRATE. 

Point 4. Hillary lost b/c the left are idiots and b/c Hillary was a terrible candidate and thought she was a sure thing so she didn't bother really campaigning as hard as she should have. 

Now, if you think Americans who have lived here for years should NOT give a damn, well, that's callous and inconsiderate of you. Why do you hate new immigrants so much? 

I would think you have ask the Americans who behave that way. Most don't. 

We can't really speak as to what specific people think. If you want to ask what a specific person thinks, there is no better way to ask them in a polite, non confrontational way about it. 

You complain about some people stereotyping by stereotyping yourself. That is not a good way to approach such an issue. 

• Robert

So these annoying foreigners have come here because it's the bestest place on earth, but they want to change it to more closely resemble the place they don't want to live.  I see your logic in that.  So how much should we change to fit in with our new neighbors?  Just so we all understand.