Uncle asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

How many of you knew who Columbus was?

Update:

Who knew who Christopher Columbus was? It's Columbus day.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I'd hardly ever heard of him before 1492. His father-in-law was a Portuguese nobleman, a Knight of the order which used to be the Templars in Portugal but, like many branches of the Templars throughout Europe, had changed its name after the Templar Order was suppressed. A similar thing happened in Germany with the Teutonic Knights. I probably first heard of him because he had been in Venice consulting some of the same archives I had in 1476, when I had been in Venice on a research trip of my own. He was called something like Colon back then and it got changed later to Columbus. I was back in Spain in 1492 visiting with the King and Queen when I first saw Christopher Columbus. But no, I really never knew who he was before that.

• Tina
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

F, are you trying to be funny. 'Francis Drake and Nelson'?

• 2 months ago

I read his Journals n High School.

• F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

He was supposedly the first person to cross the Atlantic and discover “ the Americas” although not the USA.

As such he is personally responsible fir the start of the slave trade which he started with Sir Francis Drake and Nelson.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

He was an Italian adventurer who persuaded the Spanish king and queen to back his enterprise.

• 2 months ago

he was the One who helped Murder Native Americans

• 2 months ago

Who? Never heard of her. Was she the gal who invented radiation?

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First President of Columbia.  He discovered the Coca plant.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Alas, poor Columbus!  I knew him, Horatio. A fellow of infinite jest.

• 2 months ago

I knew Chris...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.