Why is my popcorn doing this?

I wanted some popcorn today and tossed one into the microwave. I have not changed any settings or moved the micro wave...and ive never had this problem before. I cooked it using the popcorn option like I always do. Only a small portion of kernels popped. I tried again with another bag thinking the first must have been detected. Okay no big deal it happens right. I cook bag two and same thing happens. I was a litte 😠 at this point. I opened a brand new box and put one bag in the microwave. This time i manually punched in the cooking time giving it an extra 30 seconds. Again, only a small portion cooked. I am now pissed! I am poor and I dont have money to waste on defective boxes of f...ing popcorn! They are about 4 dollars a box and there's only six bags in a box. (I only like the extra buttery.) Im scared to try another one not that am still in the mood to even watch a stupid movie now. I dont want anymore waste. I tried putting the uncooked kernals in a big bowl and stuck in the microwave for two minutes but all it did was make a huge mess of still uncooked and very hot kernals in my microwave. Really i should have known better but i dont like waste. Iooked up online what I should do but didnt get any answers.

It's old.  The kernels dried out.

I don't use the popcorn setting, for me the optimal time is 2 minutes and 10-20 additional seconds depending on the brand.  

• IvaB

I suppose there could be a few possibilities. #1 the microwavable bag was upside down (unlikely)  #2 how old is your microwave ? -they do have a lifespan (possible) does the machine seem to heat normally ? #3 a VERY old bag of popcorn (remote).Hard to say exactly,but you will need to try to microwave another bag.If you get the same poor result,can you use a friends or neighbors mw to get a better idea if its your machine? 

Maybe the popcorn is faulty, maybe your microwave isn't working properly. Impossible to tell over the internet.

• kswck2

IF this is your biggest issue in life, you are truly blessed. 

you are not supposed to use the popcorn button. the bag even says . do not use popcorn button. ;[ only supposed to put it for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or there will be a fire... its okay if some dont pop

maybe try to get a refund. maybe the bag is defective.

yes i agree below. contact the company, and upload the photos. they can give u a printable or scanable coupon

How old is the pop corn?  The older it gets the less moisture in it, the less moisture the less steam is generated to pop. I would email the company and explain the problem particularly if you have had the same thing happen with multiple bags in the same box.

Besides your potential microwave issues, have you ever made popcorn on top of the stove? Just a little oil in a pot, heat with three kernels, when the kernels pop, add a 1/4 cup of popcorn, put on lid, lift pan a bit off the heat, and shake back and forth. When the popping stops, it's done. 

If you try it, store remaining kernels in a tight container.

• CB

Test your microwave:

"Follow the below steps to test the performance of your microwave:

Place a glass bowl (preferably a 2qt. glass measuring bowl) with 1qt. of water in the center of the microwave cavity. The water must be 59-75 degrees Fahrenheit (15-24 degrees Celsius).

Heat the water for exactly 2 minutes 30 seconds on High (this is the default setting).

A temperature rise in the range of 28-40 degrees Fahrenheit (15-22 degrees Celsius) indicates that the oven is cooking properly."