Why is my popcorn doing this?

I wanted some popcorn today and tossed one into the microwave. I have not changed any settings or moved the micro wave...and ive never had this problem before. I cooked it using the popcorn option like I always do. Only a small portion of kernels popped. I tried again with another bag thinking the first must have been detected. Okay no big deal it happens right. I cook bag two and same thing happens. I was a litte 😠 at this point. I opened a brand new box and put one bag in the microwave. This time i manually punched in the cooking time giving it an extra 30 seconds. Again, only a small portion cooked. I am now pissed! I am poor and I dont have money to waste on defective boxes of f...ing popcorn! They are about 4 dollars a box and there's only six bags in a box. (I only like the extra buttery.) Im scared to try another one not that am still in the mood to even watch a stupid movie now. I dont want anymore waste. I tried putting the uncooked kernals in a big bowl and stuck in the microwave for two minutes but all it did was make a huge mess of still uncooked and very hot kernals in my microwave. Really i should have known better but i dont like waste. Iooked up online what I should do but didnt get any answers.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

It's old.  The kernels dried out.

• 3 months ago

I don't use the popcorn setting, for me the optimal time is 2 minutes and 10-20 additional seconds depending on the brand.  

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

I suppose there could be a few possibilities. #1 the microwavable bag was upside down (unlikely)  #2 how old is your microwave ? -they do have a lifespan (possible) does the machine seem to heat normally ? #3 a VERY old bag of popcorn (remote).Hard to say exactly,but you will need to try to microwave another bag.If you get the same poor result,can you use a friends or neighbors mw to get a better idea if its your machine? 

• 3 months ago

Maybe the popcorn is faulty, maybe your microwave isn't working properly. Impossible to tell over the internet.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

IF this is your biggest issue in life, you are truly blessed. 

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

you are not supposed to use the popcorn button. the bag even says . do not use popcorn button. ;[ only supposed to put it for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or there will be a fire... its okay if some dont pop

maybe try to get a refund. maybe the bag is defective.

yes i agree below. contact the company, and upload the photos. they can give u a printable or scanable coupon

• 3 months ago

How old is the pop corn?  The older it gets the less moisture in it, the less moisture the less steam is generated to pop. I would email the company and explain the problem particularly if you have had the same thing happen with multiple bags in the same box.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Besides your potential microwave issues, have you ever made popcorn on top of the stove? Just a little oil in a pot, heat with three kernels, when the kernels pop, add a 1/4 cup of popcorn, put on lid, lift pan a bit off the heat, and shake back and forth. When the popping stops, it's done. 

If you try it, store remaining kernels in a tight container.

• CB
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Test your microwave:

"Follow the below steps to test the performance of your microwave:

Place a glass bowl (preferably a 2qt. glass measuring bowl) with 1qt. of water in the center of the microwave cavity. The water must be 59-75 degrees Fahrenheit (15-24 degrees Celsius).

Heat the water for exactly 2 minutes 30 seconds on High (this is the default setting).

A temperature rise in the range of 28-40 degrees Fahrenheit (15-22 degrees Celsius) indicates that the oven is cooking properly."

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.