Is it that much better to have no student debt?

I’m currently deciding on what university to go to and I’m deciding between Scotland and Japan. I was born in Scotland and have Scottish Citizenship so would be able to go to university there with free tuition and having no student debt. On the other hand I am extremely interested in Japan and want to move there as soon as possible and going to university there would help me make connections early on but the average student debt in japan is ¥3,430,000. I still have a couple years before university and haven’t decided on a field. If I went to university in Scotland my top pick school would be Edinburgh university and in Japan it would be Waseda university or International Pacific university. Would it give me that much more of an advantage to have no student debt?

Best online learning tips from https://bitly.com/3oQZOUC

• drip

Get your undergrad degree (bachelor) done with as little student debt as possible. 

Doing your studies in Japan wouldn’t give you any advantage when it comes to getting a job.

Do you graduate school elsewhere. Go on vacation to Japan. 

Are you fluent in Japanese? Speak, write and read. 

you say nothing about what you propose to study or work at.  Average student debt is misleading -- foreigners likely incur much more than average.  Are you fluent in Japanese?  What makes you think that, after graduation, Japan will admit you, or allow you to work there?  You need to do far more research and less daydreaming.  -- grampa

• mokrie

Go two years in Scotland and transfer for the last two in Japan. Debt will be lower. 

• Aiden

¥3,430,000 is currently £25,062.99

Entry level jobs yearly in Japan are about £22,000 average. And that's supposing you work full time which you won't be doing in University. 

So paying off student loan in Japan is not happening. Your job will pay for your living expenses. 

Supposing you go to Uni in Japan and carry your student debt back home with you (I'm going to assume you're living in Scotland since that wasn't made clear). The average wage of a full time worker at entry level in Scotland is £21-22,000.

So it'll take you over a year to pay off this debt supposing you don't spend a penny on entry level wages. In reality it'll probably take you about 4-5 years to pay off that £25,000 on entry level wages. Which might not sound bad until you realise that you want a car, you have to pay rent or save up for a deposit and pay off a mortgage, car insurance, living expenses, bills etc. Then you realise that the £25,000 is significantly more deadly than you expect and it will put your life on hold until you're around the age of 30.

If you can go to a good university for free, do it.

If you're going to be paying to go to university, make sure you're getting a degree that your ideal job requires.

If you're not getting into uni for free and your ideal job doesn't require any qualifications or even if you don't have an ideal job, don't go to university. Get an apprenticeship instead. You're wasting money. You can always go to university later on in life when you know what you want/need and have yourself a better financial situation. Sometimes employers will even pay for you to go to uni. But in the meantime it's better to get experience and get an early start on the job market to get yourself out of that entry level pay. By the time you're 22/23 you'll probably be earning a decent amount of money while the majority of students are just leaving uni and struggling to find work without a clue what to expect only to earn what you were earning 4 years ago.