Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 2 months ago

Am I in debt? ?

If I still owe student loans, am I actually considered to be in debt? I always pay them on time, but I still have a lot to go. And I owe more than I have with all my money put together. So would it be too dramatic to say I’m in debt? Or is it true? 

Indebtedness applies anytime you owe more than you own. You got yourself educated and yet didn't learn this? I learned it at the school of hard knocks.

Whenever you owe something, you are in debt.

• MS

Yes, anytime you owe money you are in debt.  If you are making student loan payments, a house payment, a car payment, etc then you are in debt.  It doesn't sound like you have too much debt since you are keeping up with your payments.  But since you owe money, you are considered in debt.

Yes, you are in debt, but you are NOT overwhelmed ( i e behind in your payments) so it is dramatic to say you are in debt (like, as a reason not to buy a needed item, or socialize a bit with your friends).  [Just "stay the course."]

yes but at least youre paying them

At least in Britain student loans are debt but they aren't considered irresponsible borrowing and you might never pay them back if you don't earn enough or just some of it if you earn enough but not a lot, then more if you earn more and so on. No one gets a bad credit score or goes to court over a student loan unless they are self employed and refuse to deduct themselves and pay it.