Is the 90's Toyota Camry worth buying in 2020?

You can find one around $1500. Almost every one of them has a very high mileage (above 200k). The YouTube auto mechanic Scotty Kilmer also said that these cars are indestructible.

POS that will cost more than it is worth to maintain.

If you were to buy a 90's car, this is the one to have. Not the best looking Camrys IMO, but definitely the best built, most reliable generation Camry ever made. 1992-96 Camrys are dependable even by today's standards. Scotty Kilmer isn't alone though. There are a few YouTubers that have praised  this generation  Camry.  They are like cockroaches. They keep going. Even better, if you ever need replacement parts, they are cheap and generally abundant. 500k + miles is easily attainable on one of these, especially on the 4 cylinder models. V6s are a little less reliable, but I've seen two surpass 500K miles. 

In my experience, if you're comparing this to most other brands' 30 year old car, yes, it's better than most and about equal to Honda. 

But if you're comparing a 90s Toyota to a much newer car, that's not an equal comparison. Most American cars built after 2010 will last 200k miles and not much more due to the abundance of chinese made components and bad engineering. Same with Korean cars (hyundai and kia). Even japanese cars such as nissan have too many sensors that will wear over time and their transmissions give out at 100k miles. Like Scotty says, stick with Honda or Toyota no matter what- it's good advice.

• arther

no way too old everything will be worn out ,

• Erik

I would say no.  I bought a 93 Camry from my mechanic six years ago for 1500, and in that time I've put in nearly ten times that much just to keep it on the road.  Everything but the engine has had to be replaced at least once.  People always talk about how long these cars last, but they never talk about how much it costs.  I deliver pizzas, which is very hard on a car.  If you were to use it as a daily driver it might not be so bad.  They're very well-built cars, but they weren't meant to last for decades.

If all you can afford is a $1500 car, then it's a good choice, especially if it has only had a couple of owners (preferrably older), and has been regularly maintained and has receipts to prove it. Just be sure to get it thoroughly checked out by a Toyota specialist before you hand over any money. If the owner won't agree to let you take it to a shop for an inspection and test drive, walk away. 

I bought a 1-owner 1993 Corolla with manual transmission last year for $1500, had to put another $500 to bring it up to snuff (tires, belts, hoses), and it has performed flawlessly. Just completed a 3,600 mile round trip in it earlier this summer, in fact. It's not going to be maintenance free, but if you can put $100 per month into savings set aside for just maintenance, you should be ok. 

• Scott

90's Camrys were excellent cars in the 90's. Any car approaching 30 years old is going to be a money pit.

they're perfectly destructible if they weren't maintained that well. scotty just likes toyotas a lot. 

And you believe everything you see on the internet ?

That car would be a moneypit.