Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Lately I've been noticing women wearing diamond rings on their middle finger. It's confusing. Does it still mean they're married or engaged?

This week alone I've seen 3 women do this. Is it some kind of new trend? Especially when it's a solitaire/engagement type of ring, I can't tell the relationship status of the women (ex; if I am allowed to hit on her or not).

• Trish

I was told that's the finger gay couple's use for their ring.

• John P

You should not hit on women who are engaged or married.

There is no law which defines the finger to wear the ring. 

It doesn't mean they're married or engaged. It means they like the bling. 

It's a ring; it doesn't mean anything. 

But with your attitude, assume most women don't want you to hit on them. 

Unless she's smiling at you and maintaining eye contact you shouldn't "hit on her" anyway. But if someone with such a ring is making the googly eyes at you you're entitled to talk to her and ask about the ring. If she's just minding her own business and not looking at you she's just not interested anyway (so leave her alone). 

Why not just ask a women if they are free to be hit on by you or not. 

• Lily

Well, if it's on their middle finger, they're most likely telling you to GTFO

it means they want to wear a damn ring on their damn middle finger. no special code to crack!

"allowed to hit on her", eff off. do not hit on random women you don't even know.

"Does it still mean they're married or engaged?"

It means "My marital status is none of your business.   I am not a piece of meat who is required to let every man on the planet know whether I am single, engaged or married."

It's the jewelry equivalent of "Ms." vs. "Mrs." or "Miss".

"A diamond solitaire only indicates engagement when it's worn on the proper finger, the left ring finger."   Many women do not feel it necessary to indicate their marital or relationship status, particularly in the workplace.   It's really none of anyone's business.    

If you assume that someone is single because their ring is somewhere other than the ring finger of the left hand, there are times you will be incorrect.   Just like you will be incorrect if you assume a woman who isn't wearing a ring is single.

A diamond solitaire only indicates engagement when it's worn on the proper finger, the left ring finger. Worn anywhere else, it's just a fashion thing.

Some women wear engagement rings from past fiances, others engagement rings they've inherited, still others rings they've bought because they like them, just not on that finger.