Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 4 weeks ago

Why are these girl names unpopular nowadays ?

Gretchen

Margaret 

Olga

Petunia 

Pantrisha

Manhelga

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Margaret sounds very old-fashioned although people still use the name. Gretchen and Olga have never been very popular and sound very Germanic and Russian, respectively. Petunia was the name of a cartoon pig years ago and is still associated with farmyard animals. Pantrisha and Manhelga are names that you have just made up. 

• 4 weeks ago

They have just fallen out of favor. People follow trends and those aren't trending.

• John P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

In over 70 years in Britain and Australia I have never come across Pantricia and Manhelga - the latter feels Swedish.  My British spell checker does not recognise either of those two.     I have always known Patricia.

In the 1950s in Britain there was a popular song which went: "I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch, and nobody looks at me."

And just think of 'man-hell-gah'.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Helga... Patricia.... Many of those names just don't sound great, especially a number of German female names:

Annegret, Dietlinde, Dagmar, Gerlinde, Gudrun, Elfriede, Barbel, Bernadette, Brunhild, Helmine, Hedwig, Fridegunde, Felizitas, Fanny, Frauke, Adelheid, Agnes, Hermine, Hildegard, Hulda, Ingeborg, Jutta, Manuela, Luzie, Kunigunde, Meta, Ottilie, Pia, Ricarda, Rolanda, Scheherezade, Ulrike, Traute, Wilhelmina, Waldtraud, Siglinde.... not that all German female names are unattractive

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.