Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 4 weeks ago

If someone is in same building as you and they coughed a few times 30 feet away from you, could you contract Covid if you come no where near?

Say they had Covid. If they coughed in a separate area of the building with a divider , and you are seated seperately at least 30 feet apart could you contract Covid from the air that way?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes, be afraid you will die eventually

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

If someone is in the same city as you and they have COVID but you don't know them and don't go anywhere near them, are you still stupid.

• Who
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

30 ft on the same floor or a different flloor?

either way its possible - only the probability changes

Same floor - extremely low

different floor so low you could regard it as zero

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Sorry, my answer is "Anonymous" as your post is Anonymous. There is no need for an Anonymous question in this category, Most 'Anonymous' posts are trolls, maybe yours is not, but the high likelihood is there. If you post as yourself, I would be glad to help you with any problem you have.

I spend a lot of time on each problem, I just want to make sure it's for a worthwhile cause.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Yes, small droplets of moisture linger in the air for few hours after they cough.  The virus is still alive in those droplets.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, but not very likely at all.  There is a chance, a very small chance, that suspended particles of spittle in the air could make it all the way to you, and that you could inhale them, and that you could catch the virus from what you inhaled.  The odds are very small, even if there were a moderate fan blowing air from them toward you.  There is no guarantee, no "Impossible" situation apart from never sharing the same air as an infected person in any way at all, which is basically impossible unless you live in a hermetically-sealed isolation booth.  But the odds go rapidly toward zero with distance from source.  Concentrations of contaminants drop below measurable limits pretty fast with distance.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Not likely from the air but more likely by later touching something they coughed near - like a door knob or a table.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

i would hope not

• 4 weeks ago

remotely possible, but the odds are against it.

Exact odds are unknown, as they depend on air currents, air humidity, your state of health, etc. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.