Code for outlet for dishwasher?

Bought a new dishwasher which will be delivered soon.  The old dishwasher was hard-wired.  The new one is going to be plug-in, so I added GFCI receptacle under the sink.  I read somewhere that the outlet should only have a single plug-in but it was not clear if that was a recommendation or a code requirement.   The outlet I installed has two plug-ins, and I went back to the store and couldn’t find any single-plugs that were also GFCI.  Do I really need a single-plug outlet to meet code?  

That is a MISSTATEMENT of a recommendation.

What should have been said is there shouldn't be anything else plugged into the same circuit.

You can't find a single outlet GFCI, because there isn't enough demand for anyone to make them.

Edwena's answer would be DEAD WRONG, even if it didn't violate code.

• elhigh

I'm working from an old code book (1993 - I have a new one ordered!) that states flexible plug-in cords are permissible, but limited to not more than 4 feet and the outlet must be located in the space occupied by the appliance or immediately adjacent to it.

My code book doesn't specify that the circuit supplying the dishwasher is restricted to only the dishwasher, only that due to its proximity to water in the kitchen, it must be GFCI protected.  You don't need to find a single-outlet receptacle to meet code (at least, not in 1993) and if you do, you could disable one of the outlets in a conventional duplex outlet and wire up only to the other one.

If your old dishwasher connection was hardwired it may already be on a dedicated branch circuit, in which case the only quandary is regarding the extra outlet on the duplex, and really that's not something I would fret over - it's tucked back in the cabinet after all, where no one is likely to ever mess with it for anything due to the hassle of getting to it.

The new NEC code requires that outlets that supply dwelling unit kitchen dishwashers must have GFCI protection. This new requirement only applies in dwelling unit kitchens and does not apply to another area in a dwelling that does not meet the definition of a “kitchen”. A wet bar in a different area without permanent provisions for cooking is not a kitchen. A dishwasher in that location would not require GFCI protection. The dishwasher must be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

• Edwena

You do not want to run your washer off of a GFCI circuit.  Remove it and install a conventional dual outlet.   Since you have a motor and a heater on the dishwasher, code and good practice, requires a dedicated circuit all the way back to the the breaker box.  Nothing else on the circuit. The circuit should be a 20 amp conventional dedicated circuit.   To be sure there is only one appliance on the circuit, they talk about a single outlet.  So that you can't plug something else in.  Use the spar outlet for the rare occasion when you need a extension light to work under the sink. It is a good place of an extra outlet.  You don't want your dishwasher to stop because the GFCI popped.