Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Why is my brother so aggressive when he is drunk? Is this a psychological illness?

How about he is just aggressive? My brother used to beat many members of the family - for no reason, just because he was in a 'bad mood'/something else didn't go his way. And that was without alcohol! Speak to your brother the next day - WHEN HE IS SOBER - and tell him what he did/said, and how he made you feel. Don't lecture about the drinking, just his actions.

Alcohol is a depressent. My girlfriend gets in a real bad mood most of the time after 2 cans of beer. But she only drinks after getting home from work and has no plans of going anywhere. 

Your brother has a disease called alcoholism and that is why he is so aggressive when he is drunk.

i reckon peoples real sides come out when drunk. alcohol gives people confidence.

Alcohol opens your inner doors. So my guess is , he has to hold himself back because he himself thinks he might be a bit on the aggressive side of things. He loosens up with alcohol and his inhibitions like everyone when they drink just go away , and allows him to relax and be himself. 

Unless you are saying he becomes MEAN. If he does then I know that Anon is correct and that when an alcoholic is close to the end and sometimes they don't end the drinking , they do become argumentative, mean,and nobody likes it or thinks it is funny.  

I get the opposite way. I've only been tipsy twice. My extroverted self comes out, I feel warmth, and happiness. I am not a frequent drinker. As well, I am not easily provoked to anger. Some people are just generally more aggressive, and when they get drunk, especially as a coping mechanism (drinking), their anger can escalate.

He may be an alcoholic.

Some get mean and nasty.

• amy

Why does everything have to be a psychological problem. No. Short answer many alcohols are high in sugars which increase testosterone in guys. Some guys get violent on certain drinks because of that. However most guys notice particular alcoholic beverages make them aggressive so they avoid them. Your brother  chooses to continue knowing itll make him aggressive so that could be for many reasons. Either way you know this happens so just avoid being around him when hes drunk.

No. He maybe an alcoholic but some people just are meant drunks. 

Because he grew up and men are aggressive.