My job is forcing everyone to get their flu shot now or we won't get a raise or bonus?

Do you think it's too soon to get a flu shot. I work in the hospital and they are forcing everyone to get a flu shot and if you don't get one they take away your raise nd bonus. Isn't it too early? I started working there at the end of January, that was my first time ever getting a flu shot and I'm 29 years old. I caught a mild sinus infection from it. I thought those shots were good for a year

I am being forced, if I don't get it I also get fired. 

One nurse had to get 2 shots yesterday. A flu shot from last year and this years version

• Sasha

As a health professional, you should have that answer. Flu shots have minimal side effects and they protect everyone around you. Dont worry 

• kelvin

seriously just get the flu shot

• A sinus infection isn't the flu. You can still get sinus infections or other illnesses, even if you get the flu shot. The flu shot isn't a 100 percent guarantee, that you won't get sick from some thing else, or lord forbid covid 19. 

In my area flu shots aren't usually available until October. But it's never too early. They held a vote at my work place, as to who would be interested in getting the flu shot, so they could offer it to people at my work place. Sadly very few people were interested in getting it. My boss is asking co workers to get the flu shot, but we're not being forced into it. If we show up to work when we're sick we can get sent home. 

If you get the flu (or other contagious illness) and you show up to work when you're contagious, you can spread it to other co workers and patients. If they're susceptible to the flu, some people can get very sick or they could die from it. They could fire you for making other people sick, or causing death if it came from you.

So if you want to keep your job and get any raises or bonuses, get the flu shot. It's really not that bad, you may have some soreness at the site of the shot for a few hours. Just make sure you're not feeling sick when you get it. I'm going to get it this year. I don't want to be sick with the flu, luckily I haven't been sick this year...knock on wood. 

So what if you transmit your flu to hospital patients. They were sick when they were admitted. You should prove your independence, and resign immediately. Follow Trump and eschew vaccines and masks.

• Tavy

I am in the UK and had my shot yesterday. All our medical staff here HAVE to have it as they are working with vulnerable people.

Looks like you think the UK and US are wrong, our flu shots start EVERY September.

So join the club and get your bonus.

• Rick B

No it is not too early.  Flu shots are available now and the sooner you get it, the sooner you build up immunity.

No, it's not too early.

I usually get mine during the 1st two weeks of October, but was advised by both my doctor and pharmacist to get it ASAP. 

You are not being forced.

You are being given a financial incentive.

It is perhaps a month earlier than usual.

The actual vaccination changes each year to cover new strains so when you had the last one os pretty irrellevant unless it is from the same season.

Add: that is still not being forced.

No-one is holding you down. It is a requirement of your employment. You can still choose to refuse but need to be prepared to face consequences of not meeting employment requirememts.

Those who work with vulnerable people (health care, aged care, child care, disability care) gemerally need to be fully vaccinated.