Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

What’s the point of life?

I quit my job two weeks ago. I was working as an entry level mechanical engineer at a large aerospace defense contractor. I didn’t mind the work at first, but I grew to hate it after six or so months. I didn’t care for the people or the environment and I never felt like I belonged there. My job required me to work in a cubicle in isolation. Along with my work, I spent most of my time feeling like I was missing out on life and that the 9-5 life just wasn’t for me. I thought I could keep my misery at work, but it eventually followed me home and took over my personal life. I couldn’t sleep, focus, or enjoy the things I use to. My inability to sleep turned in to night sweats and nightmares. I later fell into a bout of depression and lost all motivation to go into work. I decided to put my two week’s notice shortly after. I worked at the company for 1.5 years. 

I now work as a freight handler at Sam’s Club. I feel so lost now and have no idea what I should do with my life. I’m afraid of going back to professional work because I don’t want to experience the same thing again.

Is this what life is all about? Working a job, chasing money, being miserable and dying? I’m so lost and scared right now. 

Who said life had to have a point ?

You might try getting some career counseling. Years ago, I found myself in a career that was pure misery for me. The political backstabbing at work, the dog eat dog corporate ladder (do unto others before they do unto you), the mind numbing work itself, and I would go home so emotionally exhausted, that even going out with family and friends on the weekend was drudgery. Then, I had to face the fact I was going back to the same job on Monday morning to start it all over again. 

I sought out a career counselor and also a clinical counselor for my "mood" and I found that I was in a field I should have never have selected--chasing the dollar bill. It was affecting my attitude towards everything. Life seemed pointless. I went back to school in a different field and it was like a new world had dawned. I got into a field where I felt I was helping make the world a better place for everyone I could, not just making some shareholders richer and being told I was lucky I had a job. I don't know if Sam's club has an Employee Assistance Plan (EAP), but if they do you should be able to access it for a number of sessions at no cost to you as a start. It's confidential by law so they can't go back to your current employer and rat you out. Best to you. 

I have felt the same way in many different careers. There were certainly periods that I loved my job, but mostly they were all unfulfilling. I would periodically turn to self employment, which I loved, but it never made me as much money as my high paying careers. I eventually gave up on a regular job and stuck to self employment which is far more liberating when I am in control.

I have had a similar awakening.  I hated work, so I went back to school for a graduate degree.  Then I found something I love doing and get paid ridiculous amounts of money to do it.

Prescription: Have a steak, get some fresh air, and enjoy some good company. Maybe all three at once! Repeat as often as possible.

Remember that you are not your job, and your job is not your life. If your job is not a worthwhile use of your time, you are right to move on and find something else to do.

I'm sure millions of people in third world countries, breaking their backs to make a few dollars a day, would gladly trade places with you in a heartbeat.

People in that situation typically aren't obsessed with "living life" because they're too busy worrying about how to survive.

Working is something that 95% of people in the world have to do.

The thing you need to do is change your attitude, instead of looking at that job like a burden that's robbing you of 24/7 freedom and fun, realize that it's actually a privilege that many people in the world would love to have.

You could always live in your car and not hold a job. Then you would have all the freedom and relaxation that your heart desires. You won't have anything but at least you won't be encumbered by any real adult responsibility

The purpose of life is to live in the moment and feel happy. It's about being conscious. When you're dead, It will be complete Darkness and you won't be able to experience anything, so you should make the most of the time you have now 

When you are growing up and when you are in school they tell you a lot of nonsense about what life is like.  They present a picture of happy and fulfilled people who love their jobs and are in loving giving relationships. I wish to hell it were true.  But except for a few rare and extraordinary people real life just isn't like that.  And the conflict between all the garbage that you were taught in school about what life should be like and what you actually experience in life and work after you've left school and entered the real world causes a lot of misery.   

No life has no meaning.  At least none that I've ever found.  Money and sex make life bearable.  And if you can manage to save up enough money or if you are lucky you can eventually buy yourself freedom.  Work is unpleasant and hard and boring. (That's why they have to pay you to work.)  But we have no choice.  We all need money.  

If you can force yourself to believe in a god that can help make you feel better.  At least until the doubts creep in (and they always do).    

You won't come close to finding peace until you drop the delusions you were brought up to believe and face life for what it is.  You've been lied to.  The reality is that life sucks but the alternative is worse.  Every job is unpleasant.  But you have to work to make money.  It's just the way things are.  There is nothing you can do about it.  

Being an engineer is a good career and you can make a lot of money and have a comfortable life as an engineer.  My advice to you is to not expect to be happy or to find meaning.  That's a dead end.  Try to get another job as an engineer for as much money as you can make.  Expect that you probably won't like the job but console yourself that almost no one likes their job and just do the best you can on the job. 

It's like buying a eggs caged eggs in Australia are great .barn laid  good .Maltese and Australia have had eggs and chicken business since 1900 I have seen chicken prized plates in inghams .prizes won for example of experience .eat at fast foods even kebabs shop oh the taste

• Ann

I have no idea but we all have a reason for being here. God wants us to be happy. Find what makes you happy.