Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

How should I respond to my sisters extremist views towards people that are below her like a relative with autism?

For example she would not even come to Thanksgiving one year because an autistic relative was there and she said it made her uncomfortable. The boy was 15 and it said something about sex to her not knowing what it meant and through absolutely no fault of his own.  She also resents me because I have ADHD.  She’s very mean to a cousin with emotional problems.  

bluebellbkk: Sorry, didn't mean to say "it" at all. I was speaking into my IPhone and it must have recorded me wrong. "He" is what I meant to say. Thanks for pointing out. 

You don't have to "respond" to anything she says. You just have to go on living your own life, treating your autistic cousin with care and respect, and not letting your sister rile you up.

You are not responsible for her feelings; only for your own.

PS Why are you saying "it" when you've already plainly said you're talking about a boy?

• art

actually what I would say is she has got a right to have her own views on things, it might not be nice but its not illegal, and she has the right to not like certain groups of people, again it might not be nice but its called freedom

People who are feeling confident and secure and have self respect don't feel a need to call people names, criticise, bully, shout, etc. Try to help her with her self esteem by giving her plenty of praise and appreciation and recognising her positives. 

Good Luck!

i wouldnt respond at all, she might ask worse