Old stock carb or new replacement carb?

I am restoring a 1982 honda atc185s. I found a stock carb on ebay for $40 with throttle and cable but ita probably 30yrs old. So im wondering if should i buy and clean that or buy a new replacement chinese carb?

• fuzzy

Three wheelers were banned in many areas for good reason. Once heading downhill you've got to keep heading downhill. Lots of fun if there's a lake at the bottom.  You have to lean outwards when turning to lift the inside wheel  otherwise it wont turn & leaning outwards on a steep slope to turn will tip you over (& no ROPs on them in their day)

Buy the stock one.  Chinese ones ARE NOT QUITE UP TO SPECS.  Close,(but that only counts in hand grenade tossing).  It is most likely clean already. Bikes don't get the mileage cars get so even the original one would not be worn out. Unless they fitted it using a hammer.& chisel.

Rebuild. I got a new Chinese reg/rect for my Honda, it had intermittent, shorted rectifier diode. I had to get it Towed.   I then got a  NOS genuine ND Honda unit. Still in there 4 years later.

Go with OEM. Rebuilding One carb wont break you. Only old Amals actually

Wear out,  and they can be sleeved  or plated. Get the Haynes book, borrow a compressor, get a scale and spray carb clean. Replace Needle, idle O-ring, bowl gasket.  Put in a good inline filter.. Hondas run forever if given clean gas. Mine started on 5 year old gas.

EDIT:  Some carbs are Very Complicated. The '85 seems to use a simple slide carb, so not so bad.

Wear a Helmet. I have met  2 guys with plates in their heads from 3 wheeler accidents   I am NOT aware of any  Public area in the US that "bans" ATCs.. A private landowner can do what they want to lessen legal liability.   Fuzz, . learn to. Read and Answer the Question. Not answering it is a violation.

I only TD,   because some asshole with NO experience with Keihins thumbs me down. 

Get that Chinee one, Go Ahead, its a free country..  Would U rather Ride or Fix? This is mostly  why I bought an '06 Harley SPFI and sold the old  CB650 with Four  Carbs..

For Honda parts I would look here

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

or failing that here

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-atc185s-1982-c-usa_mod...

I bet the carb was used on multiple models (not just ATCs), so an owner's club must know alternative models to look for.

Product number is

CARBURETOR ASSY.

product number: 16100958033

I tried to be Honest Your Bike but dont listen to my 3 Ignorant  Thumbs down

I own a 1953 350 cc Ariel it came with an Isolated Fuel Bowl which I restored and Packed away about 40 years ago it is Running on a Concentric Purchased from Pride and Clark Jetted for my Ariel

Made in the UK I also have a Monoblock for the same Motorcycle New in a Box again jetted for the Ariel

My friend Purchased Italian Concentric for his Norton they were Rubbish today he uses Makuni 

if you are Going away from Original always Buy a Known Quality Carby

Thumbs down I have been Riding and restoring Motorcycles since 1953

Your Bike your Choice I am Glad I will never be buying from my thumbs down who Know Nothing about anything

I would stay away from the cheaply made chinese junk

• adam

is that one of those 3 wheelers? Super cool. Dangerous but to cool for school. The E bay carb is most likely the same as your old carb. If its stock that is and OEM Honda. Its easy to rebuild the carb you have. I would just get a rebuild kit and do that as long as the carb body is good. Is your carb that you already have junk? If not rebuild it. If it is then yes get he E bay carb . Dont get the Chinese made knock off thing . 

• Ian K

Rebuild.  It is simple and you won't have to reinvent the wheel jetting/tuning the cheap knock-off.  I've rebuilt a handful of 1960's Honda carbs and it was simple...