Son's grades are slipping, I'm beginning to lose it.?

My 16-year-old was a great student. All A's and a B sprinkled in there sometimes, but as of late, his grades are slipping. He's in 10th grade and started the year off with 100% averages in each class. Now they've gone down to higher 90s and I'm worried. I see 80s pop up in my grade feed (I get instant updates whenever he gets graded) and I lectured him on how hard work pays off, but I'm not sure if it's working. Thinking about contacting his teachers and counseling to see if we can work out tutoring sessions. Is this the right approach? I just want only the best for my son. He's our only child and as we age (I and my husband are in our 60s already, time flies) and we need him to know as much as possible before we need him to help us. So in short, I'm concerned for his future.

Update:

TYPO: My husband and I

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

Maybe you could help him practice his things. Tutoring sessions probably could help, so you probably did the right thing.

• 4 weeks ago

Someone else wrote your son is a "POS". They also said "DGAF". For the life of me, I wish people would stop using these esoteric abbreviations, which obscure meaning and do not contribute to understanding at all, unless the receive, at least, has any idea of what's being said.  To the one who said this, your comments are rendered useless otherwise.

• 4 weeks ago

Trollllooollllllloll  

• 4 weeks ago

haha

He got ONE 'B' and you're all up in arms and panicking ?

what a fecked up parent XD

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • mikey
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Back off. the more you pressure him the worse he will do out of spite.

• 4 weeks ago

His grades are still well within passing range, not to mention grades are not the only indicator of how hard he is working or his future success. Many of the most successful people were barely-passing students, whilst there are plenty of straight-A students who have no work ethic at all. He doesn't need tutoring, he needs his parents to relax and see more in him than just numbers and percentiles. I mean, in high school I had a teacher give me a B with a 97% in the class simply because she felt I disrespected her once... does that B mean I needed a tutor? Nope, it means that teacher needs more supervision. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Do not push him, or you may regret it. Stop the lectures, he is well aware of his grades, and he is well aware of why. leave him be.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

My son was a high honor student.  When his grades began to slide I asked HIM "why, what can we do, is there a problem?"  We then made plans together.

You "need him to know as much as possible before [you] need him to help [you]?"  He's your child, not a cash cow.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

i would just be thankful hes not flunking out

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

First off, you're a POS human being. There is no second off, because that's all you are. Your son wants to enjoy the best years of his life and he DGAF what you think anymore. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.