omar asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 4 weeks ago

Found 3 budget TV options for PS5 gameplay. Could you let me know if there any good and whats the best option?

Samsung 55" 4K UHD HDR LED Tizen Smart TV (UN55TU8000FXZC)

TCL 6-Series 55" 4K UHD HDR QLED Roku OS Smart TV (55R635-CA)

Samsung 49" 4K UHD HDR QLED Tizen Smart TV (QN49Q80TAFXZC

I would either look at the 55Q80T or the 55X900H.

The only reason I wouldn’t recommend the 49” Q80 is because Samsung is known the strip away some features from their smaller sized TVs. I don’t know if that’s the case for this particular model, however previously their 49” went from a native 120hz model to a 60hz which then stripped away some of the gaming features that people were expecting.

I also would highly recommend the Sony X900H. The TV supports most of the gaming features that you’ll be looking for, plus support Dolby Vision HDR. Which I think is where the gaming HDR format will be going. I know Xbox Series X will be doing Dolby Vision HDR gaming, and Sony TVs don’t support HDR10+ which is Samsung’s premium HDR format because they didn’t want to pay the licensing for Dolby Vision. So I think Sony will also be doing Dolby Vision HDR games.

If you want to take full advantage of the PS5 I would go with the Sony X900H.

I also have the Sony A8G OLED and the Sony X950G, and both of those TVs are phenomenal. The picture quality is stellar, it’s picture processor is where the TV shines. I plan on replacing my LG OLED with another Sony OLED because it’s that much better. 

I don’t like the TCL 6 Series. I had hopes that it would be good, but it’s local dimming algorithm is either too aggressive on high, or nonexistent on lower settings. It also doesn’t know how to handle text on screen. It has very noticeable blooming around the text, and smaller highlights on the screen get crushed.

The Samsung TU8000 would also be a poor choice. It doesn’t support Wide Color Gamut, which is a must for HDR. So it’s color volume is going to be low, and at best would be good for standard content. It also has a very low peak brightness. So if you were to watch HDR content, you wouldn’t notice much of a change from SDR to HDR. You’ll be missing the wider, vivid color, the bright spectacular highlights and that deep contrast.

That’s also why I recommended either the 55Q80T or the 55X900H because they offer full array local dimming. Samsung’s is a tad bit more aggressive but not to the point where it crushes dark scenes. Sony also offers a great local dimming algorithm, where it can preserve those smaller highlights without crushing or much blooming. The TCL the previous year offered a pretty decent local dimming experience, however their 8 Series Mini LED was far too aggressive and slow that I warned a lot of people to stay away from it. So when I saw this year it was almost the same thing. 

I would wait for October or November to pick one up, both will be much cheaper around that time. Plus it would be around the time you pick up your PS5.

The Sony X900H would be a better buy