Can my parents withdraw money from my account at 16?

Hi. Just wondering if it’s illegal or not for my parents to withdraw money from my account at 16 if they are not a joint owner on it. I got the bank card from my work. My mom was suppose to only withdraw 80$ to pay for the rest of my boyfriends plane ticket because he’s not coming down because we broke up. And she withdrew 260$ instead and went ahead and deposited that money into her own account. What can I do to get that money back??

it is possible to create a trust where no one can touch it until you turn 18.   not even you.

As you are a minor, your mom is a joint owner on the account until you are 18. It sucks. My dad did the same to me.

• Amy

A minor cannot be the sole owner of a bank account. Are you sure your Mom isn't an owner?

And that is why you never give your card and pin to someone else.

Your mother is a signer on your account, right?  Then you can't do anything. You're a minor, first of all.  And how did she manage to get the money if she's not a signer on that account?  A joint owner of a bank account is not always the person who SIGNS the withdrawals or checks. They are two different things. 

All you can do is ask your mom for the money back. But she doesn't have to give it to you. 

• Eva

You allowed her access to your account. There is nothing you can do except ask her for the money back. At 16, most banks require a parent to be on the account.

talk to the bank and tell them you will get a lawyer

if she is a signer on the account she can do that.

• DON W

At least in the US, it's legal.  Until you are 18, a parent or guardian can take your money.  There's probably nothing you can do to get the money back.

when you give anyone (mom, boyfriend, stranger) access to your bank account, they can withdraw any amount they want.

There is nothing you can do.

You gave her permission.

Don't give people your banking information and it won't happen.