Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

Should I take the interviewer comment offensive?

I have been teaching for 5 years. Most of my experience are in upper grades. I have taught 4- 8 grade. In addition, I completed internships in high school. My observations are all effective and highly effective. I have been requesting a transfer since two years ago because I'm working in a hostile environment. Many teachers have quit and other teachers have successfully transfer. I have been trying to be positive, but I brought up a concern to administrators for the first time in 5 years and I was attacked and minimized. I was blamed and threatened. I was that I better give them my best. I know I could contact the Union about it because they crossed the line, but I did not want to make the situation worst. I asked supervisors, whom I shared some of my concerns with, for a transfer and been getting push backs about it. I decided to apply to another district. However, the position they have available is Grade 1 which I never taught and honestly do not feel comfortable doing. During the interview I asked if there is opportunity for me to move to a higher grade level if another position opens up and the administrator replied " if you have the skill set, you can". I know she doesn't know me as a teacher, but my resume and extensive experience details that I have taught upper grades successfully. I even coached teachers and you are telling me if " I have the skill set?? Idk I like people who believe in me and see my potential. Am I overreacting? What do you think?

You are definitely over-reacting. The person is interviewing for 1st grade and may not be aware of what requirements are needed to teach upper grades, so it seems like a pretty good answer to me from the interviewer. What did you expect to be the answer? Did you expect them to interview you right then for upper grades.

I would also say that might not have been the best question to ask an interviewer (especially if it is a first interview). I mean you are basically saying, "I'll take the job, but I don't really want it and as soon as something else opens up that I like, I'm gone."

I hate you because you're a teacher and I can't stand teachers.

• John P

Jeepers, you have got that far in teaching and you write like that? Does your school system not care?

I have no opinion on whether you are trolling or not, but I read your post with increasing dismay at the many, MANY faults in your English.

• Squid

Based on your writing sample, I'm glad you're just a troll and not an actual teacher.

You've been teaching for 5 years?! Reading what you wrote, I can say with absolute certainty that you have no business teaching anyone, least of all upper grades. Don't even get me started on how you actually think you have the skill set to coach other teachers.

Your English grammar is beyond abysmal. It's a travesty. It's the kind of poor grammar one might expect from a fifth grader, not from a teacher. So how are you teaching upper grades? If anything, they're the ones teaching you.

You're completely unorganized. You do nothing to order your thoughts or make a clear plan of what you're going to say before trying to say it, often failing to deliver a clear message as you frequently meander into incoherence. When you write, thus also when you speak, what comes out is nothing but stream of consciousness, one tediously long, run-on paragraph, if it can even be called a paragraph since it actually lacks the structural elements that make a paragraph a paragraph.

You appear to have had no training in teaching whatsoever, and if you actually have, it was utterly wasted on you as you don't demonstrate anything—not one thing—that indicates you have, that indicates you've actually been educated in how to educate. Proof positive of this is established by the two self-evident deficiencies I mentioned in the two previous paragraphs above, each of which is a critical element in the job description of any teacher, meaning if you even only lacked one of them, you'd still not be in possession of the most minimal knowledge, skills, and abilities required for a teacher to perform successfully. And that's just what's become clear from this very brief view you've provided, so who knows what other basic deficiencies I'd in the deep dive of an interview with you? 

So, along with your interviewer's comment, take my comment as offensive, or don't and take it as constructive criticism instead. Either way, my comment is this: you have no business even teaching kindergarten, much less first grade, much, much less upper grades. You are a bull in a china shop, your only potential being to wreak great havoc.