what do Americans think of police accountability?

are they for it? or against it?

anyone know?

• Hayley

I am an American and I want the police to be held accountable when they use excessive force or murder someone.

Strongly for it, and feel like it's dismissed and ignored far too often.  I'd like to see each jurisdiction have an independent ombudsman with authority to investigate and to suspend officers if their behavior is outside policy.  Further, I'd like to see each state have a statewide office of law enforcement review, and an obligation to investigate complaints of wrongdoing by police.  Lastly, I'd really like to see a special office created in DOJ to investigate complaints where local and state systems have either been insufficient, or where those systems may have been compromised by racism, local politics, or whatever.  

For accountability. The police are not to be judge, jury and executioner. That is not their job. They are not the military. They are there to protect and serve their communities. They used to be trained to de-escalate, to calm a situation, not throw gas on it, then shoot everyone they've just set on fire. 

The officers in Breona Taylor's case got slaps on the wrist. Two didn't get charged with anything, the third basically got in trouble for shooting through the wall. A wall matters more than a human life. 

Six months after police fatally shot Breonna Taylor in Louisville, the Jefferson County grand jury voted to indict officer Brett Hankison for “wanton endangerment” for blindly shooting 10 rounds from outside of Taylor’s apartment. Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron said the use of force by two other officers in the case was “justified” to protect themselves.

No officers charged directly in Breonna Taylor's death; 1 faces 3 counts over shooting into neighboring apartments. AP News

This is why people are protesting. This is why we have a BLM movement. It's **** like this. 

• Otto

A American Jew from New York told me: "When rubbers are in the street, the police look to the other side. When the rubbers left, the police ask: what happen ?

I'm for it.  They all need to be wearing body cams.

I support the police.  Often such body cams can also prove they didn't murder someone like is sometimes alleged.

Also if a policeman does something that appears to be wrong, was he given adequate and documented training that addressed that issue.  For example, if he was handcuffed and on the ground with his hands behind his back, but was resisting, did the training specify where not to hold him down, like by his neck?  A lot of times, these cops have to just wing it because of inadequate training.  Their supervisors should be accountable too if they are providing poor training.

I think the FBI should put out some safety guidelines for the police when it comes to arresting and handcuffing those who resist arrest.  For example, if a taser gun is fired at a cop, that should be considered grounds for lethal force by the police IMHO.

I am no huge fan of the police,. Had several run ins with them over the years,. I think the job of the police should not be easy in a free society.

BuT

In No Way shape form or fashion do I think we need less of them,,.

For it.

Right now in the US, you can passively resist arrest on a jaywalking charge and end up either tazed to death or shot, and the cop will get away with it.

Accountability to the CITIZENS.

• gillie

Americans are divided on that question.

Edit: For, definitely. Right now, police officers in the United States have something called qualified immunity, which basically says there has to be a shít ton of evidence that they've done something illegal before they are even remotely held accountable.

WE HAVE THAT...THERE ARE POLICE CHIEFS THAT RUN THE STATION INCLUDING THE MEN THAT ARE IN THEIR EMPLOY..