Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Is Latin very different from ancient greek?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I haven't studied Ancient Greek but, as a Modern Greek-speaker, I found high school Latin easy, with its declensions and imperfect vs preterit verb conjugations.

The alphabets are different and, other than the grammar, Greek and Latin don't have much in common except for words which came from Greek to Latin.

Source(s): I'm Greek
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

'Yes' is the short answer. The grammar styles of those two have many differences. The vocabulary is different.  And, of course, the alphabets are different.

• 1 month ago

Their grammatical structures are very similar but they are two quite different languages.

There are lots of Greek 'loanwords' in Latin , and Latin borrowed the Greek letter 'K'.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The alphabets are different but there are many similarities.  If one studies either Latin or Greek and then decides to learn the other it's not that difficult as much of the new language will make sense. Greek does have more verb tenses and moods than Latin.  Both languages have declensions, conjugations but the basic grammatical structures of both languages are the same.  The only thing that I couldn't seem to get were the accent marks but those marks only affect the pronunciation. If you study Greek then the Russian alphabet doesn't seem to be too alien. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Entirely Different Alphabet , .... 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.