Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Is it wrong if I don't want to be her friend if she has a boyfriend?

I'm a guy and I like her. We became friends BEFORE she had a boyfriend. Now she and her boyfriend are "officially dating" and I don't want to be the third wheel (I'm single). Is it wrong if I end this friendship?

Not really you like her so the jealousy you feel is normal. However if you can't keep your jealousy under control without belittling their relationship then you would be doing her a favor by not being her friend.

Reading between the lines, I think you were interested in this girl, romantically, before she fell for another guy. So, maybe it is time to slowly back off and become more and more unavailable. So, begin making other plans.

IF you truly do not have feelings for her, and don't want to be a third wheel, then just see them when other people are joining all three of you.

Really think about this.....because I know since you're a guy you will automatically deny this: is it possible that you are upset about this new boyfriend because you're jealous? Do you really like her.....more than a friend.....I just have a feeling.....maybe I'm wrong but I kinda doubt it.......

If you can even consider it, then you clearly aren't really friends.

Just get on with your life and put some distance between you and her. You should look for girls who are interested in you.Those girls will look at you and they will smile at you.If you like any of them you just smile back,say hello then introduce yourself to them.They should tell you what their name is too.Then take it in turns asking each other questions to get to know each other.Find out what you and a girl have in common.Find out how you and a girl get along and start hanging out together.  Just focus on girls who are interested in you to start with.You wont get rejected and you wont get friend zoned.If any girl doesnt look at you just keep looking. Good luck. 

Friends is friends & just that ,, Friends.

Even if you happen to kind-of have a 'thing' for a particular friend.

But who's kidding who,, two's company & three's a crowd & good friends don't third-wheel their friends.

But that's no reason to 'unfriend' or delete one from the contacts or scratch a friend off of the card-list.

So, you just don't hang out so much any more that's all.

If it hurts you seeing them together then why would you suffer? You're not bound to anyone's yoke, you're a free man, you can decide what's best for you. Keep your heart at peace. If you're feeling sad or jealous with them, then its way more better to distance yourself and move on. You're still friends anyway even if you're not that close enough. Enjoy life. 

It comes down to how much her friendship means to you. At the end of the day you have to put yourself first. If it's hurting you to be around her then I think it's fair to distance yourself.

• Marty

I would suggest you do end it. Perhaps text once in awhile. Having you around will add a strain to her relationship and could ruin a good thing for her.

• Kyle

if you feel comfortable, maybe ask her to set you up with one of her friends.  then go on group dates for the first couple times.