Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Should I replace my brake pads without first waiting for the display of the car to warn me that something's wrong with my brakes?

My brake pads have sensors, they are thick about 4.5 mm, but the car display didn't inform me that my brakes are bad yet. The car has done 37,730 kilometres and was mostly driven in city conditions and heavy traffic. How many miles do I have left before reaching 3 mm and the sensor fires?

• Barry

Nothing beats a visual inspection. Take a wheel off and view the pads through the 'window' in the caliper. I would replace when they approached 6 mm so yours need replacing for peace of mind. Check the discs/rotors too. Any scoring or cracking means new ones needed. If in doubt replace them as this restores the brakes to 'as new'.

Never "hurts" to check earlier. Maybe your sensors are Broken? Better safe than sorry, a cliché, I know. No sensor can detect a cracked pad or loose rivet or grooved rotor.

"Hard on Brakes" ? No one here can draw that conclusion intelligently,   without at least knowing make, model, year. My Harley had dragging rear cylinders, so it "looked" like I used rears a ;lot ( I Don't).

I have since rebuilt  all the rear's cylinders.

You should inspect your brakes periodically.  I don't know of any "display warning" about brake wear.

That depends on how much stop and go driving you do. 

• Erik

That's impossible to say, it depends on how you drive, short trips vs. freeway driving.  Just wait until the sensor comes on, or they start to squeak.