Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Is it okay to kick out my friend?

So my friend moved in with my boyfriend and I a couple of weeks ago. It was a very spur of the moment decision. She asked us to move in because she wasn’t getting along with her parents and me trying to be a good friend, I said sure. So the next day she and her baby moved in. I thought it was going well because we have been friends for years and now it’s week three and I absolutely hate it. I take her to work for free, pretty much pay for all of the food and she stays here for free and I just got diagnosed with Crohn’s disease and I just can’t deal with added stress right now. Am I a bad person for wanting her out only three weeks in?

You have every right to ask her to move out.  You aren't responsible for her living situation nor her expenses.  Three weeks is more than enough time for her to figure out other arrangements.  She could always go back to living with her parents.  In any case, it isn't your problem.  You've done your duty as a friend to put up with her and the baby.  Now you need to be strong and just tell her "sorry but this isn't going to work out, please make other arrangements".  She literally has no right to be angry at you.  Your health should be FIRST priority and if she cannot understand that, then she's not a real friend at all.   

No question was asked.

Well I think you are a stupid person.

I am looking into getting my own place. I have different options that are available to me, and it's not like if I were to buy my own home then I am going to invite a useless, and stupid b**ch in my home. NO WAY!!!

I don't care if a female makes it her hobby to f**k, and get pregnant. No way am I going to invite a female to live with me who has a baby.

• Eva

You should have set the ground rules from the beginning.  Length of stay, payment expected, chores to be done, etc.  Give her 2 weeks to find another place, citing the added stress having her AND the baby living with you. Ask her to chip in for rent and groceries.

• J

When you let her move in, you should have discussed rent, groceries, chores, and other things that roommates deal with. You should do that now. Tell her that if she wants to stay after 10/1, you expect her to pay a portion of the rent. You should also tell her to buy her own food or contribute to the cost of yours. Tell her that she must find her own ride to work. Did she really expect you to take care of her like her parents did? If this is a problem, she can go back home. 

do something better than trolling here!

As the saying goes: after three days fish and guests start to stink, you are perfectly justified. 

Give her a timeline by which she has to move out, you shouldn't put her out onto the street. Also tell her that you cannot financially support her indefinitely. At least charge her a half the rent and her share of utilities and food. 

If she has zero income she will have to move back to her parents and try to get a job. 

• Jerry

No. Time to have a conversation about "You understand that this arrangement of me providing you with transportation, grocery, and housing was intended to be temporary, right? And you'll be ready to leave by the end of the month?" 

It's OK to put limits on how much you're able or willing to help a friend.  

• A X

It's OK to ask her to leave. She came - with a baby - because she wasn't getting along with her parents. That's not a good reason in my book. Maybe if they threw her out, but it sounds like it was her decision to leave. Rather than live for free with you - and add to your stress - she needs to go back home and work harder to get along with her parents rther than get a free ride with you.