Affected vs. Effected?

I am trying to figure out which person in this conversation is correct in the use of affected vs. effected and why.

Attachment image

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Affect means to leave a mark....have an impact ex. The coronavirus affects 1/2 the population fatally. And effect means the result of the (affect) impact ex. The effect of the coronavirus can be death! 

Do you understand?

LAST EX. corona can affect (impact) people negatively and the effect (the result) can be deadly!

• 1 month ago

Douglas is correct.

Brendan is wrong. This should also be affected.

• HMFan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

“...human beings affected...” is correct. “To affect” means someone or something having some kind of impact or influence on someone or something else.

“Effect” is most often used as a noun as in “the effect of climate change,” but it can be used as a verb: “to effect a change in climate.” In this case “to effect” means to cause, implement, or enact.

“The strict new law was effected (inacted) by the Board of Directors.”“The strict new law affected (had influence on, impacted) poor people.”

• 1 month ago

In 99 cases out of 100, "affect" is a verb and "effect" is a noun.

In this dialogue Brendan Taylor is wrong.Compare:

This hot weather AFFECTS ME badlybutThis hot weather has A BAD EFFECT on me.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • J
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Affect is a verb. Your eating habits don’t AFFECT me. 

Effect is a noun. Your eating habits have no EFFECT on me. 

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

*affect* means to influence negatively

• 1 month ago

90 percent of the time effect (with an e) is not a verb  so its past participle (effected) is not correct.  We affect things, making an effect.  affect is the doing, effect is the result.  Brendan Taylor is in the wrong in this situation.

• 1 month ago

"affected" implies to produce in somebody or something. Also it is synonymous of " influence".

These changes certainly affect us tremendously.

By the way, as a noun "effect" refers to result, influence. Dickens' novels still have an effect on the readers. "effect" can be used as a verb.   

Brendan  is correct.

• IOM
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Douglas is correct. Brendan is obviously an illiterate idiot. 

• The first is correct, the second is not.  To affect means to have an effect.  To effect means to bring into effect.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.