Does a 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity 2.5L TBI OHV 4cyl have a distributor? ?

Ok im not a mechanic, I have basic car knowledge, and I know some cars don't have a distributor, I am having no spark with my car so I figured id change the icm after some research and I cant seem to find the distributor. Am I stupid? Or am I right and it doesn't have one?

I removed the icm and ignition coils, but I can't find the distributor which if im correct normally has the icm underneath it.

I dont know why everyone is saying to follow the spark plug wires when I already stated I removed the ignition coils and icm already. Thanks for the input to those who actually paid attention to what I said though. 

There's a lot of information available online for that motor, which is the famous "Iron Duke" engine.

Apparently, in 1987 it was upgraded in all applications with a "Distributorless Ignition System."  So no, if that's the original motor for that car, it doesn't have a distributor.

No mechanical distributor, it has 4 separate spark plug coils mounted to a plastic plate down the center of the DOHC head like a GM Saturn 2.5L engine with 4 separate spark plug well coils / connector push down on plug springs in a combo ignition module coil plastic assembly that screwed down on the DOHC head. Engine has a crankshaft position sensor that fires 1-3 and 2-4 at the same time, normally aspirated 2X EFI piezo electric triggered spray cone fuel injectors.

The part listings seem to come up with either-or, must have been a change year.

If the plug wires go to two separate coils, you have Distributorless Ignition, the ICM is the flat pack about a half inch thick that the coils are mounted on. Another piece of finer GM engineering, the rub is that if you have one of those you also have a crank trigger which like a lot of their early attempts does not have a self diagnostic code (go figure). Purchase a Hanes manual for this vehicle which should lead you thru some diagnostic steps.

• Evil C

You have what was known as the "Iron Duke" engine. It should have it's distributor mounted horizontally on the back (driver) side of the block. It fits directly into the end of the camshaft. As everyone else has said, trace any of the four spark plug wires from the spark plugs back. It should take you right to the distributor.

ID think so. The '98  Pontiac  "Sunfire"  has two coil packs. It has a 2.4 L  OHV engine, aluminum head but  otherwise similar.

Even coil packs Often have a stub of a wire, too. How Else can spark get to plug? There is a boot, too. My new car has about  2" wires  that makes a  sharp bent to  the boots.

Sure way to tell is to look close for something that looks like an octopus, with only 4 "tentacles". Since 1978, Chevy's have  had coil inside the distributor cap. My '80 and '86s had distributors, but I think that was about the last year for them. 

EDIT: All engines that are EFI  have a CAS. It is often right next to firewall  and Hard to get at, at least in the 2.4 L Pontiac.  If my  '80  Chevy   was an X-11 with the EFI,  it would have a CAS as well as Distributor.. Only old mechanical FI like a '57 Corvette did not.

EDIT: No Carburetors on Any  Chevys since about 1987.'89 is definitely EFI. if Stock motor.

edit: He said it was OHV.  

• Phil M

Spend twenty bucks on a Haynes manual for your specific car. It will tell you how to fix anything on it.

If the motor has a distributor the spark plug wires would run from the spark plugs to the distributor. If you have coils at each spark plug there is no distributor.

Find the spark plugs. 

Are there spark plug wires? 

If yes, follow them to coil packs or a distributor cap. 

If you have a coil at each spark plug then there are no spark plug wires or distributor. 

The spark could start from a crankshaft position sensor.  That signal in conjunction with a camshaft position sensor signal, could make ignition pulses. 

I'm not familiar with your exact car.

Look in the back of the engine. Underneath the air cleaner. Between the carburator and the brake fluid tank.  All the spark plug wires should originate in a box about the size of your fist. That will be it.

Source(s): Had one about 25 years ago. Going by memory

i think it just has 2 ignition coil packs. you should actually find the problem before just changing parts, usually. if it's not getting spark i would usually think it's one of the coil packs, but that would only mean that 2 cylinders arent getting spark. i think. i dont have the car