Parents refused me therapy growing up, and now I want to take the right steps to better myself; how should I go about it now? ?


I just turned 18 last week and I want to go the therapy. I’ve tried telling my parents I wanted to go before, but every time we’d have these conversations they’d say they would look into. Surprise, they never did. I feel they have a stigma against mental health, so I don’t want to tell them.

The problem is, I don’t know my insurance information. I tried asking my father casually for my insurance card (newly dorming college student 2 hours away from home) but he just said “why’d you need it? When you need to go to the doctor just come back here.”

How do I get my insurance information without my parents knowing? I already know my provider, can I just call them and give them my info and they can issue me a new card without telling my parents? Or is that not possible? 

I have really bad anxiety when speaking to people I’m not comfortable with, so I don’t want to be shut down over phone.

Thank you for your time and advise.


should i just ask my parents outright? as someone pointed out, they'll be able to see if I go (which i knew subconsciously) ? I don't think they check it that often..

6 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

    I suspect/hope your parents are not uncaring.  However, with many insurance plans only a percentage of the bill is paid by the insurer.  The balance would be billed to the responsible billing party which I imagine as being your parents if you are a student.  You need to prepare them for that. Maybe you don't have to go into all the details. If they give a care, explain you have an urgent need for this therapy to be successful in your studies...perhaps say "5 visits."  Give them a chance to budget this.  You could probably benefit from the 5 visits.  Then if you can get a part-time job later, request the bill to come to you so you can pay the owing balance to the therapist.  Not all plans are the same.  It would be nice and I hope yours does pay 100%, but I doubt it.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    If you are going to live like an adult, you need to act like an adult.  Your College should have your health info on file.  It's part of the application.

    You ARE aware that your parents will see that the insurance carrier paid the therapist, right?

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Call the insurance company, have them send the card to where You are...get your member number from the company.  Your parents are nuts, what if you have a emergency, you are not going to travel 2 hours when you are having a emergency. tell them that.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Call your provider and explain to them what is going on. They will be able to help you because now you're 18. Your parents are still responsible for you if you are living at home and still going to school. You need that card on you in case of an emergency.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Missing information here. Everyone should not go out of the house without ID and Insurance information. Suppose you get into an accident away from home? That information is tantamount, particularly if you have drug allergies-that could mean life or death. 

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    They have therapist at your college.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.