Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Is it hypocritical to criticize incels for not lowering their standards for a partner while viewing non-incels’ pickiness as being justified?

“Incels should lower their standards.”

“Incels should not insist that other people lower their standards.”

Not really unless these "non-incels" are making a career out of complaining about their sexlessness. It's not the state of being "involuntarily celibate" that bothers people. It's that incels won't shut up about it and won't stop blaming others for their own shortcomings. Any "non-incel" who keeps running threads on Reddit/4Chan about how dastardly women are is in effect actually an "incel". 

• Yes it's pretty misandrist.. I think people associate incels with a mostly male subculture and so in their minds incels shouldn't be allowed to have standards because that's how men in general are genderized

I think all incels should divert their energy into self-improvement. Once you go that route a woman is bound to follow

'Incels' should be allowed to choose the lifestyle they want and it's no one else concern what they do with their own life.  As long as these 'incels' don't come to YA and try to promote their lifestyle, hoping to win over the 'anti woman brigade' that 'trolls' here in GS.

Not necessarily. People should have their standards set to an appropriate level for them. If an incel is unattractive, poor, has a bad personality etc, then wanting an attractive, rich person with a great personality to lower their standards is unfair.

This “incel” debate has gotten so out of hand. I thought they were a group of angry reddit users that were proud of being virgins? Literally trolls right? Wrong apparently.

I assume you’re referring to old fashion men like @Bill who are so petrified of feminism that they are unable to differentiate between feminists and regular women, so it’s ruined every aspect of their lives, including his ability to find love. 

So in that respect, yes it’s hypocritical. Men like him are entitled to their preference and aren’t to blame if they can’t find a woman who meets his standards. I’d happily call myself an incel if I had his mindset and physically couldn’t find a woman who’s personality I didn’t find repulsive.