Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Am I being a jerk if I spend my savings on wants instead of a plane ticket to sister's wedding? ?

My sister is getting married in London because her Fiance is british. Wedding is Set for May. However.......It is quite Pricey. My sister can accomodate the Hotel and Food but the plane tickets is Really Really Expensive like $500-$700 and that's the only thing I must pay for. The thing is I am saving up for a PS5 and the games of it's launch. I really divide my money into things like rent, emergencies, food, clothes, bills, and wants. My wants jar is only $700. The emergency jar is really over $3000 but I will not touch that until I get an emergency and wedding is not one of them. I've been hyping over the PS5 and I want to get it at launch. I already have that $700 on my wants jar and that's for PS5 but the wedding. I also dont want to go because I dont like spending flights abroad for wedding. 

I don't think you are being a jerk, it sounds like you've taken time and put thought into how you manage your finances. I will also point out that it sounds like you don't really want to attend this wedding, people who want to attend weddings will reallocate resources so they can go: like spending a bit less on clothing, wants, even dipping a bit into the emergency fund to go. It makes sense that they are getting married in London since one of them is British and they are living there, but it's a big ask to have the American side of the family pay their own way over for a single day event... just like it would be a big ask to have the wedding in America and ask his side of the family to pay their own way here. I get wanting to continue saving rather than spending money on a short trip.

You should go to your sister's wedding. It'll only happen once in a lifetime :)

No, simply say you can't afford it, and send her a simple but nice gift with a card "wish I could be there, hope your day is everything you want it to be and more, I look forward to seeing all the pictures" etc. Just don't flaunt that you bought the PS5 where she can see, that may hurt her feelings, that a console is more important that her etc.

Have fun with your console :D

Not a jerk at all. Weddings are stupid. Spend your savings on whatever you want

dont go, its too much to have to pay for her wedding

in a word, yes....................

thats up to you but you can always get your game later

It's your SISTERS wedding, that will only happen once and there will be other games and launches, but if you want to be selfish and miss her wedding, but all means do so.

I'll simply say this. Your priorities seem to be out of balance as you place greater value and importance on material things than you do on human relationships. Getting people to agree with that mindset won't do anything but reinforce it.

IDK. You can get a PS5 anytime but your sister gets married hopefully only once.