is remaking movies in the fair use?

So, i wanted to remake an entire movie with my friends and stuff. Is it in the fair use laws?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Mike W
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

It's a complicated issue.  If it's parody, it may be protected by fair use, but an exact remake would probably be copyright infringement.  For example, Airplane was a parody of the movie Zero Hour.  While it may have been protected as a parody, they purchased the film rights, just to be safe.  Other cases include movies based on public domain source material.  Many Disney animated movies are based on public domain properties.  Anyone can make a movie based on that material, so long as it's not an exact copy, or close enough that they could sue, of what someone else did.  

• 1 month ago

It's copyright infringement. You're basically trying to gain off of someone else's work - and that's against the law.

Movie studios are allowed to make remakes because they own the rights to the franchise (they either bought the rights or they're the original owner). A franchise arrives in the public domain only 70 years after the author’s death - that includes any kind of creative material, including movie franchises. Theoretically, you can buy the rights from the studio(s), but it'd cost you millions of dollars... Not that they'd sell anything if you're a no one... but that's why I said "theoretically."

Btw, a lawyer would cost you (and your friends) a few houses. Plus, you will lose.

• Jake
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No but Hollywood does it all the time and you can do whatever the hell you want if you can afford a good lawyer 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.