Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Is it wrong to dislike my mom's marriage?

I'm 22, all my family dislikes her husband. True enough we can't tell her what to do but it's a repeating cycle of drama. They've been married two years. Had physical fights, he hit her. He verbally attacked me. We called the police two times. He never thinks anything he does is wrong. He's a big drunk and comes home late. When we think they're about to divorce she always let's him back. Truthfully I'm tired and want nothing to do with it anymore. 

You have every right to dislike the man, it wouldn’t make any sense if you liked him. Research ‘the cycle of abuse’ people get trapped in it so easily and it’s incredibly hard get out of, mostly because when you’re in it the abuser makes you believe everyone else is the problem. Please stay strong, your mother will need you when this has all ended. Or maybe you could go to the police station and ask them for advice 

If you DID like him, there would be a definite problem. I see no reason for you to like him or respect him at all. Your Mom seems like a woman desperate for love, so she will take anyone and put up with anything right now.  It happens. 

• John P

No, it is not wrong to dislike that situation; it must be very wearying for you and the rest of your family.   When the final bust-up happens, be there to help your mother.

Hope you are not living with them. Your Mom is a fool. Until she wakes up, nothing you can really do.

• dman63

“Truthfully I’m tired and want nothing to do with it anymore”.  That says it all.  You and the rest of your family have made clear what they think of her husband and their marriage. While you don’t want your mom to be stuck with a violent (and vile) drunk for a husband, ultimately it is her decision to leave the marriage.  She is the one to decide that she’s had enough.  Tell your mom that it’s time for her to sink or swim...and then step away from the situation.

Doesn't sound like there is much to like about the situation or your mom's husband. I don't allow unnecessary drama into my life, and I wouldn't make an exception even if it were my mom. You should inform her that you will be keeping your distance from the toxic situation that is her marriage, and if you live with her, should start looking for your own place or maybe stay with other family members? Tell your mom you love her, but she has chosen to live her life on a roller coaster, and you're done riding it with her. She is welcome to be a part of your life, but she has to leave all drama behind when she sees you. Ask her if she would approve of you having a spouse that treated you the way her husband treats her while you're at it.

It is your mom's marriage.  You do not have to like it, but it would be good to keep your eye on your mom.  You make it sound like a bad situation , but it is your mom's

• A.J.

Your mother is an adult. You are an adult. You can advise her if she asks. You can like or dislike anyone you choose. You can ask your mom if she's happy in the marriage. Hitting is not acceptable. From that point of view, you are correct, but you are not in charge of the situation.