Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

I lied to the insurance company slightly because I was in a panic...but now I feel bad and I feel like I am gonna be charged for fraud ?

So I was involved in a minor accident. No cars were total. The other lady had a minor dent and her bumper is a little broken but looks like it can easily be popped into place. I told the police the truth. But when the insurance company called...I said that it was her fault and not mine...it was a lie. I backed into her car and it was parked...but I told the police that when I was backing out I seen her at a stop sign and I thought i was in the clear and that she spend up seeing an opening she thought she could make and put car bumpers bumped into each other....I didn’t lie about where I lived or any information...I was scared because I was driving my bf car (which I also told the police) i told the complete truth to the police just changed details to the insurance company and I feel awful and I don’t know what to do now. Should I call them privately (I have to call my bf company) and tell them the truth...will I go to jail? What will happen? 

How does a person "lie slightly?"  Your insurance company will ask for a copy of the police report.  What happens next is anyone's guess.

To late. The insurance company already knows you lied as they REVIEW the police report. 

Insurance fraud  is insurance fraud regardless of how small it is.You can and could be prosecuted as what you did is a felony

• Maxi

A lie is a lie and this one is insurance fraud, the insurance company will request a police report as norm..... so you best get your act together quickly contact the insurance company and tell the truth and 'hope' they don't also sue you for fraud

Yeah, you will be facing insurance fraud.  The police report will show who was at fault.  Call them, tell the truth and apologize.  I bet they will let it go, and just pay the claim, if it is reasonable - after checking.

There is no such thing as lying "slightly".  A lie is a lie.  You deserve to go down for it since you attempted to use falsehood to throw another person under the proverbial bus.  You're a liar and a coward and I hope you get hit with insurance fraud.