Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Would you want to get angry & embarass a retail server (over 30, not a teen) who thought you were a senior when you ordered coffee?

You Are 39 and look no older..wearing clean and age ok clothes.

He asks if you “have our seniors discount card”

You say “i dont look that old do i?” And he laughs

Rude guy!

I wanted to embarass him.& slap himo

He was older than me, maybe 50’s..

How would you feel and would you go back there?

You are calm, polite and do not yell..

But on the inside you’re raging..

Did i react ok with him or should I have yelled??

He assumed I was 65 plus! Rude

I was so so upset

I stay out of sun

Color my hair

Do not wear old lady type clothes

I

I wouldn't sweat it.  I had been mistaken (I don't know how) as a senior by cashiers several times and I'm a short fellow in my 40s who still appears kind of youthful looking too.  Consider the plus side of receiving that discount as a "senior".  I wouldn't turn that down ha ha ha.  

He didn't "think you were over 65". He just wasn't sure how old you were, saw you were older than him, and thought he would just ASK whether you had the discount card.

In your position, I would have raised my eyebrows and said "No, I'm not old enough yet". A simple statement of fact. Why get so angry? It's well known that people who are angry all the time don't age as well as those of us who are calm and generally content. Maybe your face actually does look more like 60 than 40.

PS Did you ask how old you have to be to get one of their discount cards? Maybe they start at 40 ...

Let it go. Life is too short for irrational rages at a simple, if silly, mistake.

Unless he looked like the Skipper from Gilligan's Island I would just let it go.

No.  What you said was fine.  And you'll live longer if you take things in stride.  He may have been trying to save you some money, as someone else said. 

No. I'd just smile and ask if they're really doing them for 40 year olds now? The server might also be able to recalibrate their age perception.

Roll with it. Seniors get a discount. Some people are terrible at guessing ages. You look at your face every day so you do not see age creeping up on you.  It happens.

. Fortunately for you he guessed your sex. So that is 50/50 .

. Maybe many others see you as he sees you (but they can't offer a seniors discount)

. I am still trying to get used to the term "Sir"

I wouldn't say anything to the server. I don't believe in making a scene in public, but I wouldn't really like dealing with him the next time I went there. No tip for him !

Why does everyone think it's so clever to fraudulently represent yourself and get a seniors discount card? I wouldn't want to do that. 

• mokrie

No I would NOT be rude and insulting. I would look in a mirror and stop seeing what I want to see. Are you dressing old? Is your hair thinning? Are you weathered looking from too much sun? Time to get honest with yourself.

• .

No, they want to save you money and get a tip for themselves.  

Their attention is purely on financial gain and opportunities for all.  

No.  Take the prerequisite (perk...to idiots) and enjoy the discount.