Why do people buy books when they can borrow almost any book from the library and not worry about storing them at home?

There have been no fewer than a dozen books I have wanted to read but they weren't available at any library near me. Sometimes, the few that were were checked out for months. I don't have that kind of patience. Other times, the books were written by indie author friends whose books would likely never see the light of day on library shelves in my city.

Personally, I like having books at home. I seeing stacks of them on my desk, around my shelves, wherever in my apartment. It is one big reason why I buy them. That and because I also love to support my indie author friends by buying their books and having it in physical form.

What I want to is why you care so damn much about what others do with their lives and how they choose to obtain books. Live and let live, dude.

• Verity

As a historian (guide at a historic American cemetery), I buy rare books relating

to the people I talk about--typically, books that cannot be borrowed from any public library.

They are on my shelves and available for research whenever necessary.

• Andrew

Why do people keep food at home when there are soup kitchens in practically every city and town? You claim to be a student majoring in Literature. While it's apparent that you would have a hard time learning anything, suffice it to say that you're definitely in the wrong field. You ought to be training to scrub toilets. It would be a difficult slog for you, but after a few years you might be able to earn a livable wage from doing it. 

• Marli

I am all for using the library.  I work in one. I take out at least a hundred books and audiobooks a year. I have so many books in my apartment and on my Kindle too. Neither my library nor the Kindle has everything. Books go out of print or off the library shelves to www.betterworldbooks.com or to the recycling bin so soon. There was that illustrated edition of 'A Night to Remember' that the library sent to that great iceberg of discarded books. It was one of my favorite Titanic books, and I had a sentimental attachment to it. It took years to find a reasonably priced copy in good condition. (One reason I love Better World. I have found more books in my price range through it, and they say the money goes to charities for literacy.)

And, for me, most reference books are easier to search in paper than digitally. Same with cooking and crafts books  If I own the book, I can mark it.

The library is fantastic, but even it can't completely satisfy.

• Tina

Because you certainly can't borrow 'almost any book' from a library - you can't easily get out of print books, for instance - and you may well want to keep books for easy reference.

Also books, which tend to remain,quiet and do not require feeding or excercise are not that much of a worry to store.

• Ludwig

You cannot.   The average public library has a limited stock, designed to appeal to its readers.  For this reason you will find a great many books of romantic fiction, detective stories, and military history.   Not many of my books would be found in my local library.

Back in the days before internet-enabled expediency and the softened minds it created, people used to keep books on hand for reference or because they found that the content had a positive impact on their lives and wanted to hold on to the book as a readily-available reminder.

Even today when I include a quote or reference to something I've read in an answer in this or another on-line forum I will more often than not grab one of my books (if I am home) instead of resorting to a search engine.  

The internet can be a great resource, but its commercialized nature often makes it cumbersome. Looking for a particular passage from a Shakespeare play or work turned into a popular movie?  Prepare to wade through pages and pages of entertainment and "homework help" links before finding the actual text.  

A good book collection also tells a story of its own.  I look at mine and I recall my silly days, my pretentious days and my youthful, carefree "James Bond and pulp Sci-Fi" days. I see places that I've been and people I've known.  

A friend once told me that women make it a habit to go through a new boyfriend's bathroom medicine cabinet to "get to know him better."  I asked the woman I was dating at the time (who later became my wife) if this was true and she said "yes...some women actually do that."  But then she told me "I check out what's on a guy's bookshelf."

• Kerri

What's a library?  Oh yeah, one of those 20th century things where you borrow a book.  The thing is, if you borrow a book, you have to return it.  If you own the book, you don't have to return it.  Better yet, if you own the digital book, you don't have to store it.