Electrical Advice?

I have an ongoing project that I have been working on for the last month, I am designing a 6" Chandelier using 3D Builder and plan on having it printed. Now I also wish to electrify it using 36 LED Lights which will be connected to a knife switch that will also plug into a wall outlet which has me completely intimidated. I've never worked with wiring and am stumped as to how to connect all 36 lights without creating a giant fireball as an end result. The Chandelier will have 5 ring tiers of the 5 the 3 middle ones will be lighted. Each tier apart from the middle will have 9 lights while the middle has 18. Now I have thought about using fiber optics to simplify it and minimize the amount of lights to be used but i feel that it wont produce enough light to function as both an art piece and a desk or table lamp. I am running out of options as I have have asked many experts for help and none have returned my emails so I'm hoping someone on here might help me. It will have a main support pole which will be hollow and each ring will have 9 support poles (also hollow) for the wire to travel. The image below is the partial design the lighted features aren't part of this model.

Update:

I wanted to add more pictures but sadly it only offers one picture to be added.

Update 2:

Christmas lights were brought up but they are far to close together in a string of lights to wire through the arms where the lights are to be mounted. The knife witch is to go with the old world vibe i want to give it.

Update 3:

Not wiring it into the ceiling just want it to plug in a wall its only 6 inches 

Update 4:

I wont be mounting it to the ceiling It will be under a glass Cloche for either a desk lamp or table lamp its only 6 inches.

Update 5:

If you have any suggestions as to what components might work better please share. 

Attachment image

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

READ the specs for the LEDs you propose to use.  The usual way of connecting them is in parallel -- all the hot leads connected (together) to the hot and all the return leads connected together to the return (neutral). This means you'll have thin wires [LEDs probably don't need more than 16 gauge or even 18 gauge] from each LED in its fixture up into the central portion where they all connect.  -- grampa

• 1 month ago

Find a string of white LED Christmas tree lights and work that into the design, otherwise you are at a dead end. You can't randomly wire LED's together and plug them into 120v. A knife switch is a bad switch to use as all 120V is exposed. I hope this is just a school project or something as it won't be commercially viable until you make the design pass UL/CSA safety standards.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.