Does Christianity encourage people to hate gays and lesbians?

Christianity is not a unified block, rather each denomination has its own opinion and interpretations for how to treat lgbt. So you have to know the policy of denomination you are talking about. Some denominations are very anti lgbt and some are accepting. An accepting denomination interprets the Bible in a pro lgbt way and will allow same marriage and even have out lgbt clergy. Sites like notalllikethat.org and soulforce.org  can be used to find such pro lgbt churches. And then of course there are the anti lgbt churches - I mainly advise people to switch to a more progressive church. Many of those types don’t even want lgbt in the building - it’s sad. 

Recall that Jesus preached a New Testament.  There is nothing he ever said about LGBT.  St. Paul did have one verse opposing it, but that may well have been just expressing the attitudes of that time

Sorry, but favorite answer person is wrong. The answer to your question is categorically, no. Christianity does not encourage people to hate gays and lesbians. How do you want to define hate? If we both believe the Bible is the authority of Christianity yet we disagree about what the Bible teaches about any particular topic, is that hate? You mean if I honest to goodness disagree with you, that equals hate? So love is only for agreement? Love is only for people who are alike? Sounds segregationist. It's cancel culture. Any point of view different from yours is labeled hatred, the so-called haters are dismissed and you gather with those like you to celebrate your enlightened self-righteousness. By definition, you are always right because you condemn anyone or anything that disagrees. Christ came to deal with human sin. How can you come to grips with being a sinner if you are right all the time? If there's nothing wrong with you, why do you need Christ? Why bother with Christianity? BTW, I'm a Christian because I need to be saved from sin and I know there is only one way. I have been involved in many Christian churches of many denominations throughout my life. Not once did any of them encourage anyone to hate gays and lesbians. I wish people would stop making straw men out of their own wrong conceptions of Christianity then burning those straw men as if they represented the real thing. I think a lot of people are living in a world of their own making filled with lies and false impressions. Open your mind to reality. Examine your path. Live in the real world.

• John P

I think the general message of Christianity on most mstters is 'love'. The word 'hate' has been foisted on Christianity by people with no great Christian feeling.

No read the Bible in original language 

• HMFan

While not all Christians hate LGBTQ+, many branches of religion endorse an admonition of LGBTQ+ people, from the spineless “hate the sin but love the sinner” dictum to the unabashed “they are evil and deserve to die.” The patriarchal religious system has been built upon a foundation of men’s ignorance and hubris (and I don’t mean “mankind” there, I mean the male of the species) and the need to “man-splain” any number of natural phenomena.

Si..................................

All organized religion encourages people to give their money to the church so they can build more temples, accumulate more riches and treasure,  keep the leaders in comfort and luxury,  and impose their ideology on others.  When LGBT were considered a tiny minority (ie no money to donate) they were shunned, but as it becomes apparent that they have significant income, "diversity" becomes welcome. 

• Sky

Most denominations of christianity do, yes.  It's in their big book of fairy tales, right along with a bunch of things they're equally prohibited to do but overlook because it's inconvenient.

We hate the sin not the sinner.