Dipstick is DRY?

Bought a 2003 F150 from a reputable source. Drove it home, 7 miles. Checked the oil & the dipstick is bone dry! I put 6 quarts of oil in, and it's still dry? NO OIL LEAKING ON GROUND. Could this be the wrong dipstick?? What would u recommend I do? I'm thinking of going to get the oil changed...just in case there's too much now.

Bone dry or just clear?  Pull out the stick and wipe it on your best pants.  If it leaves a wet mark then it is just CLEAN.  The pants, they are shot now as they have to be washed in soap and water.

. Usually the best time to check the oil level is B4 you start the engine.  Then all the oil is in the oil pan as it all drips down.  Once you start the engine even for a short bit then the oil gets splattered up to the highest points inside the engine and slowly dribbles back. So while the oil is high, it is not in the oil pan.  You really have to look at the stick in the sunlight and see where the oil level is at. With the lightweight oils there is no yellow color.

. Never guess.  KNOW it.

If the vehicle had no oil in it 700 feet is about as far as you would go. Now you need a new motor.

Why did you put in 6 quarts.? 10 is an even number so why not go that far?

Get it TOWED to a shop now and let them do the oil change and show you how to do it right. Too much will hammer the engine apart too, or seize right up. Yeah, you flucked up.

If it was anywhere NEAR as low on oil as you claim, you couldn't have driven it across the street without overheating. It is physically impossible to add 6 quarts of oil if there was enough to get home.

I recommend you STOP TROLLING.

I purchased a VW Bora and did an oil change and Filter used 5 ltrs of Oil

checked with dip stick and it was not up to the Full mark Tri9ed to Buy a new Dipstick and all offered were to short, so I used old stick to get the Length with Oil to High Mark  and Made a Handle with an O ring Grove

and works fine Owned the car for 2.5 years found rear tail light had a twin element Bulb where a single element Bulb was needed Engine continually overheated had to replace Radiator sensor

as they say Buying Second hand is Buying other peoples Problems But after Rebuilding a 220Sb Mercedes Benz 1964 I can usually solve Most Problems 

People do Lose filler caps Petrol oil and dip sticks But that is Life

DON'T start the motor. if you poured oil into the transmission you'll ruin the tranny. If you have double the oil in the motor you're going to mess the motor up. You're supposed to look at the oil quality in the motor and the transmission BEFORE buying a vehicle! Watch a youtube video to learn how t check the fluid levels.

The only way you will ever know is to drain the oil and replace it with the proper amount listed in the owner manual,I had the same situation.

Look in the glove box for a little book with shrink wrap on it.

• Fred G

You bought a car and didn't check the fluids..??? That's one of the first things I do.. Look at and smell each one.. Check for full, for grit, oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, burnt smell in oil and trans fluid.. 

• Rick

I wonder if you put engine oil in the Transmission instead?  To check the trans. fluid the engine has to be running.  Maybe that`s why nothing registered on the dipstick?   Figure it out before you drive the vehicle again.  Good luck!

Why didn't you check it BEFORE you left the "reputable source", dipstick? Why don't you take it back to them if it's only 7 miles? 

Go to the parts counter and have a look at a new dipstick to compare to yours. Having 6 quarts excess oil in the engine can result in blown seals, foamed oil and you, weeping for another month while the trux in the shop being fixed. Let out all the oil into a clean plan and measure it. Make sure you checked the engine dipstick and not the transmission dipstick. Did someone accidentally swap the transmission and engine dipsticks?