Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

What was the most insane crap auto mechanics tried to feed you?

They took $400 said they fixed the problem but as we pulled out of the garage it became apparent that they didn't. 

The primary ones people still fall for - 1. The 3,000 mile oil change. This has been proven time and time again to be only logical under severe service and maybe not even then. 5000 miles is okay even under stop and go driving, short trips, heat, and many other factors. Oil has vastly improved in quality over the years. 2. The Nitrogen scam. People say tires will leak more slowly and even claims of better ride and handling. Air is already approximately 78 percent nitrogen anyway, so any advantage is minimal. 3. Since about 2008, depending on the maker, electric steering has been on cars and does not use any fluid to operate. The steering is assisted by an electric motor. Anyone who says your power steering fluid needs changing, on electric steering, is trying to rip you off.

• Fred

The most common fraud mechanics try on you especially those who do the "free checks" is to get your car up on the hoist then tell you your brakes, shock absorbers, or muffler are shot and you cannot drive it until the parts are replaced.  Of course they have a policy that it is too dangerous for customers to roam their service bays so you are not allowed in to have a look for yourself.  They hold your car to ransom refusing to release it saying it is illegal for them to release it when it is dangerous to drive.  Many pay hundreds of dollars to get their car supposedly repaired so they can get it back.  I knew a guy who said he got a job at one of those free check places back in the 1980s and said he was told he had to find a minimum of $600 worth of underside repairs before the car was to come off the hoist.  He said most customers were so trusting and they just believed what they were told and the parts he was replacing were still in good condition.  He said his conscience got the better of him and he quit.

Many of those companies that advertise free checks of brakes and other under car parts use non qualified people on minimum wage to do the work as the items they change a monkey could do the work while the company charges you mechanics wages to replace parts that did not need replacing.  The free check offer is just to lure in suckers so they can get the car up on the hoist then start the extortion of your monies.

My car needed an automatic transmission flush.  It was a manual.  

That the Chrysler " overheated and needed new motor"   The same "mechanic"  left wires and hose clamps loose on the Pontiac, dumped its refrigerant to  atmosphere.

I know what's going  to happen. This nerd will find a motor. put it in,  Guess What? It's the Computer.. We'd tried crank position sensor, mass airflow sensor. Even another fuel pump and blew out lines. Plugs recently changed to new Pts.

Overheated cars show on the gauge. They do not suddenly stall 100 yards from the gas station after a fill up. It really sounded like bad gasoline. Overheated cars get in the red, blow steam, if you Push them, they stall and seize. Motor wont turn over. The motor was free as a breeze. Id also say timing jumped If I didn't know belt was recently replaced. Or fuel pump again if  I didn't know it was also recently replaced.  The AAA place we had it towed to didn't even Think to check fuel pressure at rails.\

Shut up. stevie, U hypocrite. UR wrong  75% of the time, the few times UR right you Shout  at us.  You have No dirt under your nails, you don't get  it from driving a Keyboard..

That you're a good customer.

• F

I had a thik-git person ( they’re not mechanics but any means) do the old trick of feeling round the shock absorbers , getting some grease from anywhere under the car, and then tells you they are leaking.

Funny that I said, they are gas  filled there’s no oil in them.

Back in the 1960's a mechanic tried to tell me I had to take off the bumper of my Pontiac Tempest to change a brake light lens. I gt even with him a while later when I was rebuilding a used carburetor and went back for a rebuild kit. I had the main jets in my hand and showed them to the guy as I asked him, "Will it hurt the car if I drive it without these in the carburetor?"  He almost shight his pants. He never BS's me anymore.

one time I went to a firestone? i think? to get an alignment on my front tires (i had just replaced the power steering rack) and they told me that I needed new power steering rack bushings, which was a 900+ dollar repair. I had literally just changed those 12 hours ago, and I was like "you mean those two rubber bushings that go around the power steering rack?" and he was like "oh... i think you actually know what i'm talking about..." they thought I was an idiot who wouldn't know what those were, so they tried selling a repair to me that I didn't need, one that I had just done 12 hours ago. when I was like 16 years old I took my car to get an inspection and the guy tried to sell me a new air filter and windshield wipers. I was too dumb to realize that I didn't need those things at the time.

Never had a mechanic lay any bull on me.  But dealership do hire people to sell service (service consultants).  They do have to know anything. (they might even do better at their jobs if they do not know too much.)  They have tried to sell me service that I did not need on equipment that I did not own.  

I had a car that needed an anti-sway bar.  The shop made not of it.  I sold the car and bought another , but the shop insisted for 2 years that I needed an  anti-sway bar when I came to pick up the new car.