Why does hollywood insist on remaking  movies when something original is better for the masses?

Example the upcoming remake of DUNE

• Prince

Hollywood is not necessarily concerned with what is best for the masses; however, the original "Dune" sucked donkeys, big ones. I loved the book which, at the time, was my favourite book and, I was looking forward to its release with excitement. Well, but I was so disappointed. The book set up the story beautifully with the gom jabber scene when the old priestess of the Bene Gesserit tested Paul and then they moved to Arrakis where Paul had to fight a combat for his water and his mother Jessica recited a litany from the Bene Gesserit which established their place on Arrakis. The movie zipped through little quick incomprehensible biographies for Baron Harkonan, Jessica's father, for instance so rapidly that I, who loved the book and had re-read it multiple times, could not follow. I found it maddening and could not imagine how anyone unfamiliar with the book could possibly have been filled in by such a rapid fire sketchy breathless synopsis. It did not establish the characters clearly and then proceeded to waste footage being a mediocre action film. An excellent plot was omitted from that piece of excrement.

Well besides the fact that they are running out of ideas, also because...well...money.

When they remake an old movie they have to add their liberal agenda to it.

"The Greatest Story Ever Told" was a good film...good story...but if they remake it Jesus would definitely be played by a black man and be gay.  They'd probably add a scene showing Jesus having sex with another man.

I prefer to watch movies made pre-1965.

Back then the producers and directors were trying to make the film the best they could. Now all they want to do is push a liberal agenda.

Unfortunately there are too many stupid young people who don't want to watch old films.  Case in point: there is a remake of 'Rebecca' coming out soon. A masterpiece directed by Alfred Hitchcock, made in 1940 in BLACK AND WHITE!  Now this shouldn't matter a jot to anyone with intelligence but the masses are largely lacking in this respect.  Therefore they think 'Oh this looks good' about the remake, which might be ok and watchable but cannot hold a candle to the original.

I do find it annoying when they remake a film which cannot be improved upon.

Plenty of great original movies are still made.

From last year alone, there was Knives Out, Us, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917, Marriage Story, Parasite, and plenty of other great movies.

• Vela

they wouldn't if it wasn't profitable.

You haven't seen Dune and you're already judging it?

20 Remakes That Are Better Than the Original Movie

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/563962/movie-r...

• LilyRT

there have been two movie versions of Dune and neither were fantastic.  there are parts I like about both, but there are also parts that were absolutely dreadful.  in a case where the original isn't all that great, I don't mind a remake.  here's to hoping this one finally gets it right.  

the biggest problem with remakes is when the original was a classic.  then, there's just no point in a remake.

• John

Because everything has been done. Visual media is the final frontier of entertainment. It could take you to places that books and plays never could. That was the problem. It took us to too many places. Now, there's simply nothing left. 

Because they know from experience the public loves remakes and sequels. I remember back when they started making sequels to the great movie Planet of the Apes (1968).I thought everyone of them was terrible but they made millions of dollars at the box office. And in the 21st Century they started making Planet of the Apes movies again and each one made hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office.

Are you familiar with the desire to make money?

Hollywood has been out of ideas for decades.  They basically do nothing but remakes and adaptations of stories from other genres.  There is very little originality to filmmaking anymore.  Dune is a pretty old movie at this point.  There's even more than one book such that if this one is a success they will probably make the other books into movies.