Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Is milk bad for cats?

yes...........................

Cat Will Be bread

• Ocimom

For most all adults its bad - cats are lactose intolorant and cannot have milk products as an adult.  They can get sick and have loose stools.

• I believe so. A friend who was a cat expert; would tell me to buy cat milk for my cat in 2002 & to never, ever, give cow milk to kitties or cats. I told my brother & mother to not give Penny their cat, cow milk. They would ignore me... assume i was exaggerating. Eventually Penny would puke & gag hrs after drinking cow milk. I told them, that it has to be the constant cow milk they give em' they said it was just him getting sick from eating grass. They kept giving him cow milk & poor penny got soo sick & couldn't stop barfing and refuse to eat. I think it destroyed his stomach. My brother buried him after he died. Bro cried a lot. I'm no doctor; but i am sure cow milk destroyed his sensitive stomach, after all those yrs of drinking cow milk, they still think that wasn't it...

Yes, cow's milk is good for one thing, baby cows. The milk can cause digestive issues like bloating, pain and diarrhea which can lead to dehydration. Stick to a good quality cat food.

Yes, cow's milk which people drink indeed is bad for cats. What you're probably thinking of here is the saying, 'look like the cat that got the cream' i.e. someone looking pleased with themselves for having achieved something, or done something well. For example a school pupil being happy for coming top of the class for being the only person to score 100% on a test.

The reason why milk is bad for cats is because cats are usually lactose intolerant. This means that a cat's digestive system organs do not produce sufficient quantities of lactase enzymes, which digest the lactose sugar that naturally occurs in milk. It can cause the following symptoms in cats if they ingest milk:-

- flatulence (accumulation of excessive gas in the digestive tract, leading to the cat breaking wind, or 'farting' as it's known)

- abdominal cramping and/or pain

- abdominal bloating

- vomiting

- diarrhea

- constipation

- polydipsia (increased thirst and excessive drinking)

- dehydration (as a result of the vomiting and diarrhea)

- tachycardia (increased pulse/heartbeat)

- dry gums

Also, there's not all that much in the way of nutrition for a cat in cow's milk. The best thing that you can give a cat to drink is plain water. The stuff you get from the kitchen tap is fine.

If you really want to give a cat milk, then the best thing to do is get them actual cat milk. This can be found in pet stores such as pets at home, or shops which sell pet supplies like supermarkets and discount stores.

Hope this helps.

Most cats are lactose intollerant.

They often love to drink milk but it upsets their digestion.

Adult mammals are lactose intolerant. Baby mammals have the enzyme lactase to digest lactose, the milk sugar. After weaning, the body of mammals shut down production of lactase by turning off the genes that produce lactase. Adult mammals therefore cannot digest milk as adults. It will probably make them feel sick. Some human populations evolved by necessity the ability to digest milk as adults, by not turning off the gene that produce lactase even when we are adults. That ability is beneficial after humans domesticated milk producers like horses, sheep and cows about 10,000 years ago. The ability to drink and digest milk as adults may have saved some people from starvation. These people then pass on that ability to their descendants.  Luckily, my ancestors can digest milk and I inherited that ability as an adult. I can drink milk without getting sick. 

Just like humans, a of cats don’t have the enzymes to break down the lactose in milk. This can result in upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite and weight, abdominal pain and discomfort, and cause behavior changes such as increased scratching.

Even if they aren’t lactose intolerant, veterinarians don’t recommend it as there is no nutritional benefits of them drinking milk. 

Yes; there's a protein (I think) in milk that cats can't digest. They can, however, drink CatSip. My cat loves it!