Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 month ago

What is the ENG equivalent in Sharp calculators?

sorry if the question is worded wrong, but what is the ENG button in a sharp calculator?

for example in wavelengths:

(3x10^8)/0.066= 4545454545..

my classmates would just press the ENG button and it will show 4.545x10^9.

how can I do that on a sharp calculator?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 days ago

Unionwell micro switch from https://unionwellspain.com/

• 5 days ago

LiFePO4 Batteries for Handling Industry https://lithiumforkliftbattery.com/

• 1 month ago

This is showing you the number in scientific notation - sometimes called engineering notation.

• D g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Engineering format is numbers with the exponent rounded to a multiple of three

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I believe it may be Engineering Units.

In engineering, numbers are expressed as

exponents of 3's

1x10^3 or 1x10^6 or 45x10^9, 15x10^-12

HP has this mode also.

• 1 month ago

3e8/0.066 = 5e10/11

Turning repeating decimals into ratios is a neat trick and isn't that hard to do.  BTW, you'll never regret owning an HP calculator (RPN)

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If it isn't obvious then it probably only does scientific notation. The powers 3 Eng function isn't particularly common although I use it all the time and I can only think intuitively in terms of SI prefixes.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Look in the manual (download from the manufacturer's web site if you don't have it) for "scientific" or "float". It will tell you how to set up your calculator. It may not have a single key to display engineering notation, however, you should be able to switch between various display modes with a few key strokes.

• 1 month ago

This is showing you the number in scientific notation - sometimes called engineering notation.

When you start dealing with very large numbers, it gets hard to keep track of how many digits you have. So numbers will be written as a small number times 10 to a power. This is kind of like a numerical way of writing numbers in the way you'd say them out loud.

For example take the number 3,400,000,000

Its hard to keep track of all those zeros and remember place values

But its easy to say "three point four billion"

So instead of writing it out with all the digits you can just write: 3.4 x 10^9

10^9 is one billion.

So 3.4 x (one billion)  = 3.4 billion

The ENG button switches between this format and regular numerical format of just writing out the whole number will all the digits

Also note that many calculators use a capital letter "E" in place of the 10^

So it would say "3.4E9" which means 3.4 x 10^9 which is 3.4 billion

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.