Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 1 month ago

Lower back pain and sore shoulders after running?

Newer runner here. 👋

Recently I’ve been experiencing pain in my central, lower back and in my shoulder muscles the day following my runs. Sometimes my back hurts for a few days. 

I have been to a specialty shop to have my shoes fitted and I don’t believe poor footwear is the culprit. 

Any tips? 

• .

My suggestions would be:

>>Tighten your abs when you run (and do some core exercises as part of your cross training). That will help support your back.

>>Make sure your posture is correct (you aren't slouching when you run, which can happen when runners get tired) or lifting up in your shoulders. Your shoulders should be relaxed, arms at your sides swinging forward and back, hands relaxed.

>>Avoid running on concrete (asphalt is better, and a rubber track or grass/dirt is even better as far as reducing impact on the body)

>>Roll out (foam roll) your hamstrings, as tight hammies can cause lower back pain

>>Make sure you are warming up prior to running, and doing some dynamic stretches to get your body ready

>>Cool down and do some static stretches after your run, especially stretching your shoulders, chest, neck, back, hips, hamstrings, quads, calves, shins. Also do some knee, hip, ankle flexibility moves.

• Ashley

The back pain sounds like a weak core, (no shame in that) it’s common among new runners and it’s an easy fix if you work on building the core muscles. Planks are a great way to build core strength, try three sets of holding for 30-40 seconds, work your way up to a minute as you get stronger.

Your shoulder pain sounds like poor posture, which will improve with your core strength. As you fatigue during a run, you’ll naturally want to lean forward/slouch, which not only hinders your breathing but strains your shoulders and back, rather you should make sure to keep your chest out/shoulders back (but relaxed), head over shoulders, shoulders over hips, and hips should be over your mid-foot upon landing. Check your posture throughout your run, especially as you start feeling tired. It’s easy (at least for me) to tense up when I’m getting tired, but you’ll save yourself some pain by staying relaxed and keeping good posture. 

Hopefully this helps and good luck with your running 

It may be that you need to invest in some running shoes that do a better job reducing impact on your spine.