Will I ever get over the fear of flying?

Most people when they have a holiday planned they think about their lovely holiday. When I think about a holiday I think about the plane, how I’m going to over come it, how am I going to handle it, the fear that comes with it and sleepless nights. The take off is the worst!! I have to have at least 3 large glasses of wine before I board. I know flying is the safest means of transport but even when someone I know arrives back from holiday I always think wow they survived 😩 help?

yes, you will  

Flying is unnatural and bad for your health. You can travel anywhere in Europe by train as I do or stay in the U.K much of which is very beautiful.

Some people do get over it. A Fear of Flying course can help a lot.

It's probably fear of fear involved as well. Most of us have concerns about taking off under maximum power, bumps as the wheels come up, and sudden drops from air turbulence etc, but those worries don't overwhelm us. It's like we get used to driving on motorways with massive trucks that could crush us in an instant should something go wrong. Alcohol is also a depressant and it dehydrates you while flying, making you feel quite unwell. You'd do just as well to use a lucky charm or amulet, or pray to a god; doing so helps you to believe that someone or something is looking after you. You probably get a placebo release of feel-good endorphins from it.

Get your doctor to refer you to a psychologist.  Ask about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.  It helps you recognise your illogical ideas & beliefs & to replace them with logical ones.  Quick, easy, not needing any  medication & highly effective.     

One in seven is afraid to fly.

YOU are not special.

SO SAD your bubble of innocence does not include PROFESSIONAL help.

Go to YOUR DOCTOR and get direction to appropriate help for your phobias related to flying.

• I am absolutely terrified of flying and will never fly domestic, I will always drive within New Zealand but will fly overseas if I have to but to answer your question I have never got over my fear and to be honest the anxiety gets worse as you get older.  Every flight is a white knuckle ride for me, every jolt and drop in altitude brings me out in cold sweat and and like you I use alcohol to steady my nerves.

• hihi!

I sort of had a fear of flying when I was 24 and never had flown. But I read statistics, (back then) 18,000 flights a DAY flew safely. With some 35,000 killed in cars every year in USA, I realized a narrow body jet would have to crash EVERY DAY with 100 on board to reach that toll. As unsafe as the African airliners are claimed to be, there are not a lot of crashes. British (British Air- the BEST!!) companies SURELY are head and shoulders above South American and African companies.

So I lift a glass (gin and tonic, on the rocks, with a twist) when the stewardess brings one to me, to your and my health and to calm, peaceful feelings on takeoff. Raise up your wine, thrice filled!!

(you should fly in Russia. Landing on ice, taking off in snow...)