austin asked in PetsRodents · 2 months ago

Guinea pig closet enclosure?

I have a roomy walk in closet that I do not use. Is it a good idea to turn that into a guinea pig enclosure? It give him more room to run around and makes him more happy. I just don’t know if it is a great idea to do?

It could work well if you make sure it has sunlight but not direct sunlight, its not too dark and there's nothing dangerous for them to chew on like peeling paint, peeling wallpaper, wires, and things like that. Also be sure that it will stay cool in the summer but warm in the winter.

Assuming the door will always be open and sunlight shines in there its perfectly fine. I have done it. It actually made a great cage. I used grids to protect my baseboards and the floor was waterproof (and they peed about 90% of the time in their kitchen/litter pan) so I didn't need to worry about that but if you have wood or carpet you will want to put down coroplast, a shower curtain liner, tarp etc to protect the floor. 

• *****

Closets are not normally a good choice for an animal enclosure because they usually lack good ventilation and sunlight. If yours has a good-sized window, maybe this would be okay, but otherwise its not a great idea. 

Sounds like an excellent plan, but keep in mind that the walls will be a tempting thing for them to chew on.  They may seem flat and safe to you, but animals tend to find a way.