Kat asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 months ago

Can i use half a baking dish?

I cook usually just for me 1/2 portions. Is there a way to stop say a pasta bake from moving over to the unused half of the dish when cooking? The only thing that comes to mind is possibly using foil somehow.

Thanks for any help

make a "dam with aluminum foil.  Line the pan with an extra long piece of foil then gather the extra into the center and make your dam. It will be like 1/2 of a pan. 

Your other option would be to use a loaf pan, the size you use when you bake a banana bread or some people make meat loaf in that size pan. 

• denise

You can buy individual foil cooking trays for the 'bakes', they freeze well too and can be re-used if you want to 'wash them up'.

• Jane

I often cook portions for future use-either make big dish and cut up once cooled, and freeze, or use foil dishes to portion out and freeze. No need to do complicated things! 

• IvaB

A smaller baking dish is obviously what you need now,and for the future as well.They're cheap.I would let the pasta fill the entire dish.A thinner layer should be fine til you get a smaller baking dish.

If you're just baking for yourself what does it matter what it looks like? Either spread what you have out over the whole pan so its just thinner and will cook quicker, get a smaller pan or use your ingenuity. If you're a millenial google the words you dont understand. When I cook for guests I care what it looks like but when I cook for myself and my husband taste is all that matters.

• kswck2

Either just freeze the leftovers or buy a smaller pan. 

You could use foil. Alternatively just use the entire dish. You won't be able to layer the pasta as high but it will cook more evenly if you spread it out.

You are a functioning adult?  I weep for your future.