Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 2 months ago

Why does my laptop battery decrease when it's not even being used? Is it hacked?

My laptop battery decreases even when I just fully charged it, closed the lid and did not even use it, it drains on its own. It would go from 100% to 80% and then keep draining. I assume its hacked. how is this possible? I got this in 2017 and it's a lenovo laptop.

I did not notice this before.

It's probably not 'hacked', you just need to go through your power management settings, and well as see what apps/programs are running in the background that are using processing power, even when it should be asleep.

Worst case, back up all of your files and do a system restore.

• John P

Possibly it is set on the minimum setting, usually called Sleep, for shutdown. That keeps some systems in instant readiness and does drain the battery slightly.

Rechargeable batteries do not last forever.

My Lenovo Ideapad Flex laptop has USB ports that can charge devices in low power states. Turning off that feature solved the battery drain problem I had with my laptop. The Lenovo forums can give you information on how to solve power drain problems with their laptops.  

At least one cell in this battery pack was weak. Most those cheap made low quality battery pack has life not more than 2 years even without used.

Nope just built in obsolescence.... Rather like the memory capacity on my smartphone.... I keep losing memory although I never install apps or photos or music....at some point I won't have enough space to install  the O S update so I'll have to buy a new phone....

1. The cells may have started to reach the end of their lifespan and their capacity to hold charge may have decreased.

2. Even if you close the lid, those programs that you left open are still running and therefore, still consuming battery.

• 1) The cells in your battery may be at the end of their lifespan so they don't hold a charge as well as they used to anymore.

2) As long as your laptop is "on" (even if it's hibernating), then it's using power.

3) As long as your battery is connected to your laptop, it is using power.

Believe it or not, nobody wants to hack your laptop.  Even when scam artists "hack" your laptop, usually it's a script that pops up, disables your mouse buttons and then tells you to call someone who'll "help" you.  A quick CTRL+ALT+DEL brings up the task manager and allows you to close out that window and fix your problems (or a good ol' Alt+F4, or unplugging it and removing the battery in order to completely shut it off).  Calling that number and letting whoever answers gain access to your computer is when you get hacked, and no time before that.  There's simply nothing worthwhile on your laptop that anybody wants, unless you have sensitive information that could potentially be worth millions or more.

• Shay

Several possible issues.

1.  You might need a new battery.  Your computer is certainly old enough for that to be a possible issue.

2.  In sleep mode, any background programs that may be running may still using power and the main memory would also be drawing some power.

3.  Hibernate is a better option to preserve battery power.

4.  Turn off any background programs that don't need to be on.

5.  Whenever possible, leave the laptop plugged in.  When it is plugged in, it uses the electricity it is plugged into instead of using the battery.  The charging cord can be used as the main power source anytime you are using the computer in a location that allows you to plug it in.  (my daughter has a laptop that is mostly used at her desk - so it is always plugged in and the battery is rarely used.  On the few times she takes it someplace, the battery has always done great because she never uses it when she doesn't actually need to do so.)

• Lisa A

It is in sleep mode. It uses some power in sleep mode. It keeps the memory powered. If you don't want the battery to drain, shut it down, or put it in hibernate.