Question about classic muscle cars for long road trips?

Don't know much about them and personally I've never seen one run in person.

From the video clips they sound pretty loud like the Mustang G350 '65 or the Chevelle SS 454.

My question is: are they also going to be loud on normal runs on highways, is it comfy for a passenger to nap with that engine on?

It's just a curiosity so I don't have one, but boy I wish I had because they look amazing.

• car253

No room in those cars.   Get a Honda Pilot.

Do you guys know an acorn from your a$$  whole?

• Rick

noisy and the gas mileage SUCKS !!!!  also harsh ride and usually limited trunk-space.   AND the cops love them !!!

Source(s): 1989 427 Mustang.
  • M.

Generally NOT a comfy passenger car for taking road trips, especially if it's setup to accelerate because it will have a rear axle ratio that makes driving on a highway for a long time/distance very prohibitive. If it's loud, it's another problem, because who wants to be stuck in a loud car for a long time? I had several, long ago, and only one was usable for road trips. It was quiet and had a 3.70:1 axle ratio, which is about as much as you'd ever want to take on an expressway or highway.

• Anton

ARRGH!  The Mustang is a Pony Car, not a Muscle Car!

A classic Muscle Car is an Intermediate Car with a Big Block V8,

Originally a 2-door sedan, but you could also get 2-door hardtops and convertibles.

As an American Intermediate sedan, with bench seats, is would be just fine on a long trip.

With a pre-1968, rear seat belts are not required, and a passenger could lay sideways in the back.

a) You cannot afford a classic muscle car

.b) Restored to factory specs, "muscle" cars are not very loud. It is owners who put high performance engines and after-market exhaust systems on them that make them loud. You can be assured that they those types of muscle cars are quite loud inside the cabin  which can be annoying and fatiguing to drive on long trips, not to forget the very poor gas mileage most of them get.  

Any muscle car will only be loud if the owner has installed an exhaust system than makes them loud. You can have a quiet exhaust system on any muscle car if you desire. 

Collector cars should be treated with great care.  They are too valuable to be taken on long trips.  They are however comfortable and not noisy.  So you cold if you wanted to take such a trip