Laura asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 months ago

Does white pepper taste bad?

I have some white pepper, but it tastes rancid. I have never used it before, so I am not sure how it is supposed to taste. Should I throw it away?

• IOM

White pepper tastes like white pepper. I personally don't like it. It's not even close to black pepper. And it's the same thing, but without the outer skin. However, it doesn't taste "rancid" Sounds bad. Throw it away. 

• Funnel

Ask some goofy White Liberal college idiot. I'm sure there's something racist involved somehow. Or ask an older Black person. They may tell you it's just goofy white pepper trying too hard to be black.

If you don't like the taste, throw it out.

• IvaB

I've never used white pepper,so I wouldn't know,but I will say that I'm not interested in a "watered down" version of black pepper.I couldn't care less about dark flakes in my cooking (which is supposed to be the main point of using white pepper  lol).

if you don't like it, why would you keep it?

Think of White Pepper as sharp Pepper compared to red or black. I'm not sure if anything that's dried that much can go rancid.

• denise

If in doubt,   Throw it out. 

• kswck2

White pepper has a rather astringent, spicier taste, unlike black pepper which has a slightly fruity taste by comparison. White pepper is commonly used in white colored sauces like cream sauces, partly because it doesn't make black spots in the sauce. And it is used in much less amounts. 

It is not for everyone. I stock it in my spice rack, but I couldn't tell you the last time I actually used it. 

White pepper is astringent while black pepper is more fruity, some people have even described the first waft of white pepper as it hits something hot as smelling of feet before it tempers with a few minutes cooking.  To me they're not interchangeable at all and each have their place (I use black pepper very much more) but if you don't like white pepper you don't have to use it.  Who's going to come and arrest you if you throw it away?

• Girl

If you don’t like the taste of it, it is better to throw it in the bin. And the taste is distinct from black pepper.