jake asked in TravelFranceOther - France · 2 months ago

Lyon or Marseille for 1-2 months?

I am planning on moving to Spain next year for grad school, but for a month or two before that I’d like to spend 1-2 months of the summer in France to improve (and hopefully perfect) my French. Would Marseille or Lyon be a better place to live for that amount of time? Thanks!

I like Lyon a lot of the two.

I have spent some time in both cities and each has its own advantages both culturally and in terms of opportunities for young people but on balance Lyon is safer and has a great deal to offer culturally. It has a vibrant young population due to the dynamic university. The food there is to die for. Marseille is on the Med so there are beaches near by, but it is known for its high level of criminality and very mixed population. The French spoken by the locals is not as pure and can be quite bewildering especially if one is not a French native. It won't do anything for the quality of your French.   

I live in France and from me, both are good. But in Marseille they have a strong southern accent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯